Start an ironing service... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

in Boost your income
935 replies 442.5K views

Replies

• gabyjanegabyjane Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Well i put some flyers through doors on my new estate and nothing! Any ideas where else to try, the idea of that was to try and not have to drive as all walkable! I am thinking of putting some in the village where dd goes to school as this way i could tie it in with the school run and no extra driving iyswim! If i was to advertise on the newsagents board i would be paranoid as havent registered with the IR i have visions of soeone spotting it and a call asking why i haven't! I have that sort of luck! anyone know how long you have before you have to register (apologies if already said haven't had time to read rest of replies)
    thanks
  • bbaby_2bbaby_2 Forumite
    328 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    gabyjane wrote: »
    Well i put some flyers through doors on my new estate and nothing! Any ideas where else to try, the idea of that was to try and not have to drive as all walkable! I am thinking of putting some in the village where dd goes to school as this way i could tie it in with the school run and no extra driving iyswim! If i was to advertise on the newsagents board i would be paranoid as havent registered with the IR i have visions of soeone spotting it and a call asking why i haven't! I have that sort of luck! anyone know how long you have before you have to register (apologies if already said haven't had time to read rest of replies)
    thanks

Hia gabyjane,

You have to register within 3 months.

I too have yet to register, but I have put adds in the paper and will be posting adds in local newsagents and leafleting.

I wouldnt worry about advertising in Newsagent boards.

You have 3 months to register so if it hasnt yet been three months then your not breaking any laws.

All the best.;)
  • Hi gabyjane dont worry about the other service sniffing round we get it all the time it doesnt even bother us we're that busy we've been running nearly 6 years now and theres loads of other ironing services around but there's enough work for everyone. I would take a 1 liner out with the yellow pages too if thats any help its free but i wouldnt take anything bigger out as its a rip off :)

As for smelly clothes you get use to it febreeze is good of getting rid of the smell :)

As for hangers too go to your local market and ask the stall holders to save the hangers for you, we've had millions given to us all M&S ones :)

I hope this helps

Stephb xx
  • electric, water, insurance for while the stuff is in your hands, goods in transit insurance

Stephb xx
  • Well, done as a few people said and put an ad on gumtree offering my services of cleaning, ironing and pet walking etc and had two replies already. Going to look at a cleaning job tomorrow and am hoping to start ironing for a local busy gent this week. Just wanted to say thanks for all your advice and to let others know that it does pay to advertise yourself. Will post back to let you know how I get on!!!
    :T
  • Hi, I Am Thinking About Starting An Ironing Business. Does Anyone Know Of Any Tips I Can Take On Board Before I Start This Venture. If Anyone In The Darlington Area Needs Any Help With Their Ironing Then Let Me Know.
  • dj1771dj1771 Forumite
    8 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    susie0259 wrote: »
    Hi, I Am Thinking About Starting An Ironing Business. Does Anyone Know Of Any Tips I Can Take On Board Before I Start This Venture. If Anyone In The Darlington Area Needs Any Help With Their Ironing Then Let Me Know.

Hi Susie0259,

I am also in the Darlington area now due to relocation, so I guess you will be my competition! I am sure there is enough business out there for us all. I just wanted to wish you luck.

If you want any advise I am happy to give it from my previous experience.

My main outlay for my business was my van, which I find invaluable to hang items in for delivery, and it is good for advertising as my business details are on the side. Insurance is a must, as well as hangers and wrap. It gives a professional finish, but doesn't cost too much. I don't bother with a press, but use a good quality steam generator iron, which is provided to any people I have working for me too, so that the finish is the same from everyone. Anyway, as I said good luck.
    D.
  • I spent a fair few years as an ironing lady. I used to give them a basket (or they could request more) and said they could fill it for a tenner per basket, if the basket was purely childrens clothes I added £5 because you can get loads of them in there lol. I had the condition that items were folded (explained that it made it easier to iron thus keeping my costs down and was better for the clothes) and that they were not stuffed in.

Customers loved this rather than price per item because they always knew where they stood, if they sent 2 baskets it would be £20 rather than a bill at the end of it for xxx amount or spending time counting things out and working out 3 shirts, 12 t-shirts etc.

Once you get going 40-50 items an hour to a high standard is acheivable, more so if its shirts or bedding (the two I thought were easiest, its baby clothes that I hated).

I used to use metal coat hangers as they took up less space and hung shirts, jumpers, long sleeve tops, ladies going out tops and trousers, everything else got box folded unless the customer requested otherwise.

I used jacket lengh bags for them and put 4 items per bag in each one.

Make sure you invest on an ironing mesh for silks and delicates.

If I think of anything else I will post back.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • MinniMe_2MinniMe_2 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Is there any chance of having a list of where everyone is based - I have been thinking of getting my ironing done (I hate it and have no time) and would much rather give the money to one of you guys than someone out of the paper, If any one is in the Kent area please PM me!
    New surname New start!
    Total Debt - [STRIKE]£9999.09 [/STRIKE]now 7633.16 23.66% paid off
  • I found with the iron mesh cover that i burnt that instead! lol so ive gone to using kitchen roll on tshirt transfers ect, as for silky tops i just steam as its not worth the risk of burning them!

steam generator irons are brilliant we have a shed load of them you can pick them up on ebay fairly cheap too.

I also found that with putting items in the plastic covers that they kept getting creased so we dont bother with them.

Gabyjane dont be worried about not getting a response straight away it might take a few days or weeks. put a advert in your local newsagents know one will know if you havent registered yet with IR plus its non of their business!!

HTH

Stephb xx
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock