Single, six kids and going to be debt free!

Options

Comments

• Mumoffourkids
    Options
    I used to buy other stuff when I went to get bread and milk but now I only buy what I need unless I see yellow sticker meat which I know we will eat. But even then I only buy if it is a lot cheaper than normal price.

So this week I spent £62.70 on my big shop on Monday, so that left £37.30 for top ups of bread and milk. So far I have spent £8.00 on top up bread and milk (I round up do any change 20p piece or less goes into my change pot). That means I have £29.30 for today, Saturday and Sunday which is more than enough seeing as three of the kids go to their dads tomorrow morning and I topped up with milk last night. In theory I should have at least £20 left of my food budget by the time it gets to Monday when my next week starts.
  • CoffeeCakeYarn
    Options
    That's blinking good work on the goals for the month, especially the food budget! I can't imagine trying to feed six, let alone do the washing for them. I'm sure that there's someone else living with me that I never see but just puts their washing in the basket...

I know you're very clever and have probably thought about the second job, but in case you hadn't, I found when I researched that any 'second income' would have affected my tax and meant I was actually earning very little from it, as it would be a low/min wage income. When I reflected properly I thought the time was probably better spent working on me, in the gym, and giving a bit of extra leg work to groceries and walking instead of car and stuff, and probably actually putting in a bit more effort in my current job (still working on that one!).
    Paid - 7095/26218 - Total
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    Haha, I'm actually an accountant by trade so I know my taxes and things. It means also though that I would be working self employed if I got another job and I could deduct all sorts to get my tax down. Although I would have to think about how much I earnt as I don't want to go over the limit for getting childcare funding.

I did like your comment about someone else putting washing into your house! I feel like I never actually get to the bottom of my washing as if the washing baskets are empty, there is always towels and sheets to do! In fact I have to go find some more washing now as the washing machine is currently empty!
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    So this morning has been quite productive. I haven't got much cleaning done but I have sorted the kitchen apart from the floor. A

I paid another chunk off my target debt which was the payment I had planned for this month but some money from FB sales. I have another FB sale being collected tomorrow which I only put on this morning. And I've just listed a couple of doll's baths which I found in the bathroom when I was having a tidy up.

I have annoyed myself though. I was cleaning the bathroom and my son came to find me. As I was going back downstairs with him, I thought of something I wanted to look up on the internet and by the time I had got him sorted, I had completely forgotten what it was I wanted to look up! So annoying! I bet I will remember at a really inconvenient time again!

Right best get in with sorting this house before doing the school run.
  • Shashwoo
    Shashwoo Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been readying your diary so I thought I'd pop in and say hello :)

Sounds like your on top of it so good luck and happy saving/debt paying xx

:kisses2::smileyhea:love: 1st June 2012 @ 1pm I married the man of my dreams!!!
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    Thanks for popping in Shashwoo and hello to you too.

Some days I feel on top of everything and other days I sit in a corner and cry!

Today seems to be a good day though. And I remembered what I wanted to look up on the internet. I wanted to find out about childcare vouchers. I had them years ago when I was working full time but up until recently I have been earning under the personal allowance threshold so it wasn't worth me having them. Now work have upped my hours, I will start to pay a little tax. So I did a calculation but I think I will be better off paying full childcare as I won't save that much in tax and national insurance.
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    So downstairs has been swept and mopped, something that was long overdue but I feel so much better for doing it. Kids have tidied their rooms so I can hoover tomorrow once three of them have gone to their dads. I've also put a load of white washing on tonight and have another load of darks to put on tomorrow morning.

So back to to do lists as I work so much better with them!
    - take kids to dads first thing in the morning
    - put washing on if get up early enough!
    - take eldest prom dress shopping, we are just looking at the moment to see how much and what she wants so we can look online to find cheaper!
    - hoover stairs
    - hoover middle floor
    - finish sorting out bathroom including cupboard
    - find more stuff to sell!
    - do a bit of sorting of top landing
    - do tip run

Loads to do but I like to make the most of three of the kids being at there dads and not having rugby training on a Saturday morning. Still got rugby on Sunday though!
  • vickthestick
    Options
    Morning,
    I have been reading along and I just thought I'd say Hi.
    I also have six children - one is living 'independently' in supported accommodation just along the road and one left school last year and has an apprenticeship with PGL the outdoor ed company so that she can earn money ahead of going to university. That leaves two at high school and two at primary. I work full time and DH is the at-home dad. I totally get your lovely home highly organised chaos :D
    You're doing so well.
    Keep at it x
  • Mumoffourkids
    Options
    Morning Vick and thanks for saying hello.
    I have two kids at secondary school, two at primary and two at nursery. It seems like I like even numbers but it wasn't planned that way!

My life will become slightly easier when my son starts school in 2019, then the youngest starts a year later. I will suddenly if I have time for myself although I might find a different job or do some more self employed work. I don't like to make things easy for myself!

Sometimes I feel like I am doing well and sometimes not so well. Off prom dress shopping with my eldest and will have to take the two youngest with us. We are going to get some ideas of what she wants and how much it will cost! She knows I don't have loads of money and anyway she doesn't normally like spending lots of money.

Then will be home to do more sorting out whilst three of the kids aren't here. Busy day again!
  • camz2017
    camz2017 Posts: 347 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck with the prom dresses, I think you're doing really good especially figuring out the taxes etc!
    BC 0/15305.83 MBNA: 0/11231.16 TESCO 0/822.87 LOAN 0/4272.67
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure