Options
124»

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Whoa settle down.

I did daily readings (admittedly not hourly). Sent these off to them.

Please post them here
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Options
    Only one way to check if your electricity supplier is at fault. Take control and take the readings yourself. If you are so sceptical, even take dated photos as proof.

If the readings are ok, then you are either: -
    a) on a high tariff or
    b) are just using too much electricity

If you are on a dual tariff you will be spending a lot of money if you are activating your heating during the day time, where higher tariffs apply.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Let's take a step back here. Sending videos; e-mails etc will get the OP absolutely nowhere. There are 3 scenarios here:

1. A faulty meter. The OP can ask the supplier for this to be checked but if it is found to be functioning correctly there will be a charge. As I said above, the meter function can be checked by isolating all the circuits. If the meter is still turning then, in my opinion, current is still being drawn by something/somebody in the property. If the meter stops then a simple test needs to be run by turning on a device of known wattage for a given amount of time.

2. The OP needs to check that he/she is being billed correctly for the units that are being used. This is easily done by looking at the most recent statement.

3. The meter is recording properly and the OP is actually consuming the amount of energy recorded on the meter, or, some of the energy is being diverted after the meter to another user. This can only be checked by a qualified electrician at the OP's expense.

By agreeing to issue a Deadlock Letter, it is pretty clear to me that the supplier believes that The EO will find that it has done nothing wrong.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Storage heaters that only got fixed last month, before then never had them during the 2 years I've lived here.

Any advice appreciated.

Going back to your original post what were you using for heating before the storage heaters got fixed ?

If this was convector heaters/ focal point fires etc then your heating bills would cost a fortune.

But as the OP won't tell us consumption/ tariffs etc .................
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why not get a sparky to come out and test the system, see if there is a draw and where its coming from. Then if its a faulty meter, you can send them a copy of the report and claim for the cost of the sparky. The quicker you do this, the quicker you start saving.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Do you have an immersion heater ? Mine was once accidentally left switched on for several weeks. That by itself could easily cost £50 or more a month.
  • kels366
    Options
    I had a smart meterninstalled and won tried messing me about/the woman didn't have a clue.

I have economy 7 so my day time charge is between 8/9am untill 11pm. I get charged 20p daily charge, 21p per kwh in the day time and night time is 10p per kwh.
    For an electric only it can be fairly high, however if you ensure everything is switched off when not in use by the mains and be careful using too much hot water as that's a big one for electric usage. I built up a debt because they keot underestimating my usage so I'm paying that off. I would advice you get a smart meter so you can see exactly what you are using and will help to reduce your bill as you can see what uses more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure