One bed flat, electricity only huge bill

Options

Comments

• David848435
    Options
    Yeah think I'll have to do that. Well do it in the morning and report back. It just doesn't seem right at all.
  • Haylescom
    Options
    Depends how often you're washing I guess, but it could pretty much double the cost per use. Make sure you're not leaving things on standby when you're out. Take some readings throughout the day as well and see if something is using up energy whilst your'e out.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    75 month-Scottish Power
    Eco7
    1 bedroom flat
    Single.
    I am home more often during 2017 -part time.
    75 seemed a lot when it went up from 65 though that’s more than enough tech/white goods etc.
    Though I try and limit heating when possible from March—Sept.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the average hill for a one bed flat with just electricity is?

I've bee in a constant battle with Npower as I do not believe my bill is correct £155 per month. They have just told me that next year my annual usage is looking to be £1870.

1 bedroom, modest kitchen, bathroom abd bedroom, fairly large lounge but not huge.
    Storage heaters that only got fixed last month, before then never had them during the 2 years I've lived here. Water heater which is on for an hour a day. Smallish fridge freezer, generic items anyone would have. Not excessively used. Two loads of washing on average a week. Newish products (all A rated energy).

It just seems absolutely mental. When I put what we use into some providers the monthly cost is as low as 38 rising to 50 with others. Even on npowers most expensive tariff it would still be 79 they suggest for our flat.

Any advice appreciated.

Good morning David848435

Thank you for your post.

Have you spoken to our Energy Efficiency Team yet? They're trained and qualified to talk you through your usage at home and help you work out if anything is amiss. If they don't find anything in your usage that explains your monthly cost; they can then refer you for a meter accuracy test. If you'd like to get in touch with them, they're available on 0800 022 220 between 8am-8pm Monday to Friday, and 8am-6pm on Saturdays.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to email the address shown in our signature and we'll be happy to help however we can.

Thanks

Beth :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    That should say timer on storage tank, not heater.

If you are only heating your hot water for an hour you will not have enough hot water for the day. Do you find you are having to use the boost switch (assuming it is usually off) or kettles as the day goes on?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • David848435
    Options
    Hiya,

It's usually fine. We don't use that much hot water at all. Goes cold after about 20 minutes but that is all we really need it for.
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Read your meter every hour and post the readings here.
  • mbmonty
    mbmonty Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 16 December 2017 at 2:36PM
    Options
    Sorry maybe stupid, but how would I check the meter switches over at night? Just check the correct reading is going up?

Don't overdo the day at all, for the vast majority we are out at 6am and don't return until about 7pm most nights (apart from weekends but we are out a good chunk then also).

Aye do all washing etc at night as I like to leave them out overnight.

You are paying way over, even for storage heaters

I once had Storage heaters but meter timer was faulty so they were on all the time, I did not notice because I had them quite low but it added £2.4k to the bill and I got £1800 back and disputed the rest.

You can't manage what you do not track, so start by reading your meter hourly for 4 hours, then turn off storage heaters by switch next to them and by their ring on fuse box.

Keep monitoring hourly, if the consumption goes down a lot then you have your answer.

From what you say it sounds extremely likely that meter was poorly fitted.

I think the eco7 meter should have a reading of it's own, it should not be moving in the day.

So if the day reading decreases when you turn off the storage heaters then they are wired to the wrong meter and that is Npowers fault so they should refund excess.

If on the other hand the night rate increases during the day then the meter timer is faulty.

Now would be a good time to invest £6 in one of these, check your fridge and other devices so you can get your head around what is using energy.

ebay.co.uk/itm/282011339692

My bet is on bad install.

You need to video the night reading increasing in day or the day meter increasing when storage heaters are heating bricks during day.

Upload that video to you tube, name it Npower rip off or similar, tweet them that you will be uploading similar videos daily until they come back and fix.

Inform them formally that you dispute the figures, cancel direct debits and ask to be referred to ombudsman, I think it cost them £300+ to go there.

Storage heaters never economic these days as far as I can see.

I will not tell you my energy usage because it will make you cry, oh alright then

3,750 kWh Gas
    1,400 kWh Elec

Was paying around £580 per annum, just switched and expect will be £300 to £400 per annum
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

... It just seems absolutely mental. When I put what we use into some providers the monthly cost is as low as 38 rising to 50 with others. Even on npowers most expensive tariff it would still be 79 they suggest for our flat.

This part of the post implies that it might not be the usage that's the problem. Do you have details of your historic usage as well, and your 24 hour usage? Then put this information into the tariff and see what it actually is in terms of cost, not in terms of monthly DD amount.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • tberry6686
    tberry6686 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    "Storage heaters never economic these days as far as I can see."

Completely wrong. If there is no mains gas available (common outside of towns and cities) Storage heaters are often the most economical form of heating there is.

Take myself as an example.

I am currently on storage heaters and E7. I looked at getting gas installed (main is approx 5m away in the road beside my garden).

Quote for getting gas to my house - >£10k. add in a boiler, radiators and plumbing and I would be looking at around £15k. Current annual electricity bills total £1600. Saving using gas would probably be less than £600 annually. Total payback time (taking into account annual servicing, replacement boiler after 20 years etc) around the 40 year mark or in other words storage heaters are far more economic for me than gas would be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure