MSE News: Scottish income tax shake-up - how what you pay will change

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    One-Eye wrote: »
    "Everyone earning over £26,000 will pay more tax than they would in England".

No doubt it serves 'em right for being capitalist fascist Tory scum. Is that how the SNP phrases it?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • One-Eye wrote: »
    "Everyone earning over £26,000 will pay more tax than they would in England"

Doesn't sound so good does it.
    I'm happy to pay more in tax for better public services.

The poor pay less, the rich pay more. It sounds fine.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Saw an article this morning but not sure how accurate it is - states that where person is liable at 21% then would no longer to be able to transfer part of personal allowance where there is a non working spouse. You can only do this where recipient is basic rate taxpayer (20%).
  • BoGoF

The CIOT website has an article pointing out that people paying the new "intermediate" rate (potentially) won't be entitled to it anymore.

Is that what you've read or was it something else?
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Was in a newspaper but cant remember which one
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    The 19/20/21 thing looks to me a lot like the Scottish government making changes for the sake of using their right to do so.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • I couldn't find any salary calculators that have been updated with the proposed Scottish 2018/19 rates yet, so I've created a spreadsheet which is available for download here:

wxw.dropbox.com/s/eqwchpodb0i7jg7/Scottish%20Income%20Tax%20Calculator.xlsx?dl=0#
    (replace the wxw part with www - as a new forum user I'm not able to post direct links)

It's purely to analyse the income tax changes so it doesn't take into account NI etc. If there's any tax experts out there, can you check I've got the formulas and bands are right? I've compared it with the lookup table produced by ICAS on a recent BBC News article and they match up so I'm fairly confident it's accurate.

From playing with the spreadsheet, it's interesting to see that although people on salaries under £33,000 are paying less income tax than last year, and those above are generally paying more, there is a small anomaly where if you're paid between £43,527 and £58,459 your income tax is actually *lower* than 2017/18.
  • poggs
    poggs Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 December 2017 at 10:02PM
    dansmif wrote: »

From playing with the spreadsheet, it's interesting to see that although people on salaries under £33,000 are paying less income tax than last year, and those above are generally paying more, there is a small anomaly where if you're paid between £43,527 and £58,459 your income tax is actually *lower* than 2017/18.

unless you've a partner in low pay job that can no longer transfer some of their allowance.

In my case on £36000 I'm about £380 a year worse off under this plan than if I lived in England.

But its ok as the druggies, wasters and scroungers will get more benefits and free houses, so thats ok I suppose. Because in the peoples republic of scotland there is nothing worse than actually supporting your own family. Thats the state's job surely?

No more overtime for me. I'll just have to take it as time of in lieu to reduce my productively further along with lowering my tax paid.

I'm sure that was the NATs plan wasnt it?
  • But its ok as the druggies, wasters and scroungers will get more benefits and free houses, so thats ok I suppose.

I'll just have to take it as time of in lieu

Ah well, it'll give you more time to read the Daily Mail
  • traceyr
    traceyr Posts: 169 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    What happens to the marriage allowance in Scotland are we to lose that as well as it only applies to basic rate taxpayers?

The SNP making changes just for the sake of it. No thought put into their policies as usual!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure