Options

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 February 2018 at 8:46PM
    Options
    evuka wrote: »
    but the interior is different as the upstairs is closed - *taking mental note to double check for the reason and if it is safe enough* - and I've seen my previous place is still up for rent so that's also an option.
    Not sure what you mean by "the upstairs is closed". That makes it sound like you won't have access to it, but surely the bedroom (and I assume bathroom) will be up there? Or is there a door on the staircase (either bottom or top - preferably bottom)? If so (and it would otherwise be an open plan staircase to the landing) I'd take it as a bonus as you're not heating the staircase and landing when you only want to heat the living room. My first house had stairs going up from the living room, and it was a nightmare getting the chill out of the living room as the heat all headed upstairs first!!!

After almost 16 years with the same energy provider (could never find a saving big enough to make it worth switching - most were only about £30/year with companies I'd never heard of) , I've started the switch to someone else today. My fixed deal came to an end just over a week ago (actually missed the date) and they put me onto the cheapest they had at the time which puts my projected annual bill up by just over £190 a year :o That 12 month fixed tariff (which doesn't have any exit fees) closed at end of Jan, but the ones available now are more expensive again !!

After doing a number of comparisons (using projected usage my current firm used for their quote, which probably isn't far out looking at bills for last 11 months) I've opted for a 12 month fixed tariff with a small company that's still relatively new, but is heavily into green energy which I like but have never been able to justify the cost of before. I could have had a tariff that was about £7.50/year more than the one I've been on for the last 12 months and is 100% green electricity, but I've opted for one which will cost £30/year more that my last as it also includes 10% green gas (it's still a lot cheaper than my current provider, and around what other 'unknown' companies were quoting - mostly with no green energy included). To go 10% green gas and 90% carbon offset as well as the 100% renewable electricity would have been an additional £47/year, and I couldn't really justify that at the moment. Switch should be complete by the end of this month, so fingers crossed it goes smoothly. No exit fees on any of their tariffs, so if I don't get on with them I can move again anyway......
    Cheryl
  • LittleGingerFox
    Options
    Evening all. Budget remains on track and I'm still really enjoying it. I have just paid an extra £500 off the credit card tonight whilst I still had some money in the account (to stop me looking at it with a heart-eye emoji face!) so thought I'd put it to good use. I will pay the balance on that credit card on this months pay day. Boom, one credit card down in two months. Just another credit card to go, wooooop! I have really enjoyed searching for coupons and using Checkout Smart for money back and freebies :)
    CC2-Total paid in March £1560.12/ Max credit card amount £6747.03/ £5098 to go!
  • sinkorswim2018
    Options
    After the expense of an oil change/mini service on the 1st, I am pleased to report I am nearly on budget. The car still has 3/4 of a tank in and there's no big expenses coming up other than a six month supply of loo roll (important). 84 rolls for £20. Oh the glamour!
  • spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had not one but TWO NSD this week - largely due to being really poorly with a sickness bug and not wanting to go out but, every cloud has a silver lining and all that! With only two days to go until the end of my financial week I have over £30 in my purse and £50 in my envelope in the cupboard so I will definitely come in significantly under budget again this week :j:j

Tomorrow will be a spendy day as eldest is at dentist again do I've promised to treat him to lunch and buy him a small gift if he manages to go through with it - he's terrified bless him but the work is essential and cant be put off so I'm not above a little bribery, At least though I already have accounted the money for it - without borrowing it from another pot or putting it on a cc.

Next week will be interesting as we are on holiday - we have a few this year (booked and paid for pre LBM) they cant be cancelled but I've made a vow to save money where I can and do them as frugally as possible without making ourselves miserable. For probably the first time I have the spending money saved in a seperate account - hopefully wont need much as its All Inclusive so no food or drinks to worry about and any money leftover when we come home will go in the debt jar - another incentive to be careful.
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
  • Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    [ I have just paid an extra £500 off the credit card tonight whilst I still had some money in the account I will pay the balance on that credit card on this months pay day. Boom, one credit card down in two months.

Little Ginger Fox
    well done , you've done brilliant xxx
  • Pipsmum
    Pipsmum Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2018 at 7:08AM
    Options
    There have been some brilliant achievements shared so far, and such an inspiration to keep going on our journey.

I have a slightly more unusual challenge this week - I have a turnip mountain in my kitchen, running short of ideas, but I refuse to let it go to waste! DH was given "some" turnips in exchange for some eggs. There were a lot! So we've been eating turnip with everything for the last few days. I made the biggest batch of soup, so that has been my lunch this week, but I did have to stash some of it in the freezer, as although it is nice, by day four its loosing it's appeal. If anyone has any good ideas (not a lot to work on, I know) I would be very grateful.

Wishing you all a frugally good week.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pipsmum wrote: »
    There have been some brilliant achievements shared so far, and such an inspiration to keep going on our journey.

I have a slightly more unusual challenge this week - I have a turnip mountain in my kitchen, running short of ideas, but I refuse to let it go to waste! DH was given "some" turnips in exchange for some eggs. There were a lot! So we've been eating turnip with everything for the last few days. I made the biggest batch of soup, so that has been my lunch this week, but I did have to stash some of it in the freezer, as although it is nice, by day four its loosing it's appeal. If anyone has any good ideas (not a lot to work on, I know) I would be very grateful.

Wishing you all a frugally good week.

If it were me Pipsmum, I would simply peel and chop the turnips and freeze for another time. No need to blanch. You can use the frozen turnip for soup or whatever recipe you like, at a later date. That reminds me, I have a swede and a cabbage that need doing today!
  • claire1a
    claire1a Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I really enjoy veg chips (such as butter but or swede), chop chosen veg into strips and bake in the oven. Harder veg usually need longer but just keep an eye on around the 20 min mark! Could you great it and add to bread mixture or Tom sauce to add extra veg... not sure if either of there are an option...
    No longer Debt free
    EF - £525.27/£1000 New York £0/£1500
    SCC- £3000 SL overpayment £2500 M+D - £4000
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 7 February 2018 at 9:51AM
    Options
    :beer: Here's to all those under budget, paying down chunks of debt, finding bargains, switching energy suppliers and moving on in their quest for forever debt freedom! :j

It's bitterly cold here but we're trying not to break the budget with the ridiculous heating costs! I often have to remind myself that times have changed and money values differ now from when I first set out on my £4k per year journey, but if I can make it to 2020 then my life ambition could be realised! :D

I envisage Frugaldom as a countryside retreat for all frugalers where they can come and forage, grow, pick, make, bake, get creative and sample the good life for themselves without worrying about the costs Whether or not that ever happens remains to be seen, but that's my goal.:D Every year takes us one step closer, so the next 2 years are of major importance. Didn't manage to buy any woodland for the hoped-for forest garden but we are planting as many trees as possible and have been awarded another 420 by the Woodland Trust. I also hope to reach 100 trees in the new orchard this year.

So... If anyone wants a free holiday in exchange for gardening, crafting, recycling, upcycling and frugal decorating, in all seriousness, just say. :D

This week, I won two online auction items as the only bidder on 99p no reserve listings! :T
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 February 2018 at 9:48AM
    Options
    Last year's apples are storing well in black bags outside... Yesterday I stewed another lot into crumble and the peels and cores have gone I to my next batch of apple cider vinegar. :) I just need to hope its warm enough in here for them to ferment. :)

Next, I need to make a batch of laundry goop.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport