2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kerreh wrote: »
    I never knew about surveys until read some threads on the forums... £2.48 made in my lunch hour.. every little helps right :D

im only doing Topcashback . can you recommend any surveys please
  • sinkorswim2018
    Options
    So my last two days have involved spending more than I'd intended. I can see.where I could have spent less.and which was unavoidable. Yesterday my eldest at uni had a wobble and I ended up driving an hour and half to her and eating out, plus £8 on car park. The plus side is we ate at a Wetherspoons so it wasn't too expensive and she is okay now, so job done. Today's expensive mistake was forgetting my best friends birthday and sending flowers, same day delivery, so she will never know....ouch. I'll see that as a learning curve. On the plus side, I took some stuff back to the shops today so £33 credit.
    It's a bit like a diet really, mustn't give up when you go off plan. If I hadn't of bee trying to be frugal, these costly events would just of been on top of.my usual spending.
  • Kerreh
    Kerreh Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Moll wrote: »
    im only doing Topcashback . can you recommend any surveys please

I'm probably not best for recommendations as I'm fairly new to this ... and I hope I'm not breaking any foum guidelines... but I've been using prolific :)
    Aim 1:12mth Emergency Fund -> £9440/£16152 (58%) Aim 2: Car kicks the bucket Fund -> £9915/£17000 (58%)
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone, walked everywhere, so frugal and exercise all in one, otherwise not done much. Oh I did buy my dgc4's birthday card and present but I cant put it on as her mom sometimes comes on to read!!
    Just off to cook some tea, mushroom omelette I think as I have plenty of eggs and some mushrooms to use up.
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• Nonnadiluca
    Options
    Mushroom omelette here too NG.
    This challenge really concentrates the mind! I'm doing well - under budget so far for food and I hope to be in budget for 'other spends' even though I will have the annual house and contents insurance and SIL's birthday next week. Having shopped around for the insurance, I phoned my current provider and asked if there was any wriggle room on the renewal quote and got nearly £30 off, which brought it down to the lowest price I'd been quoted elsewhere. Result!
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • Moll
    edited 10 January 2018 at 9:45PM
    Options
    Good day today, very conscious of all my spends since joining , Went to our local "Works" shop . They sell 10 cards for £1 . I had £2 love to shop vouchers which I can spend in there, so stocked up and got 20 cards and used the vouchers for payment . cards . mostly birthday but a couple of thankyou ones, they should keep me going quite a while ,
    Also recently it was our wedding anniversary , and my OH bought me a die cut machine for crafting, Today I found foil paper at 50p a roll in the after Christmas sales that will be ideal
  • Moll
    edited 10 January 2018 at 10:02PM
    Options
    Kerreh wrote: »
    I'm probably not best for recommendations as I'm fairly new to this ... and I hope I'm not breaking any foum guidelines... but I've been using prolific :)

Kerreh ive never heard of it , but will give it a go , Thankyou for telling me about it x
  • Kerreh
    Kerreh Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tesco shop tonight... came in at just over £25 but this will last for at least the next 9 days by my estimates. It was only fresh stuff (my fridge looks like the harvest festival the amount of fruit, salad and veggies I have :D) along with dairy, eggs and flour/sugar for baking. Not really counting it as a spend in terms of the budget though as got some Tesco saving stamps for christmas and used those so win win :j

Also up to £9.21 on surveys :T
    Aim 1:12mth Emergency Fund -> £9440/£16152 (58%) Aim 2: Car kicks the bucket Fund -> £9915/£17000 (58%)
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    So, it turns out January is an expensive month in my world!
    This is when car tax renewal is, dogs and cats injections, and then my passport needed renewing before the end of the month AND my driving licence!
    Don't know if it will help but I write down all my yearly payments such as car tax, insurance, contents insurance etc, add £200 for extras, divide by twelve and put that away each month. That way the yearly 'stuff' is covered ;)
    Moll wrote: »
    I'm only doing Topcashback . can you recommend any surveys please
    If you look on the top line on the page (dark blue) on furthest right you will see 'INCOME'. Click on that and then click 'boost your income' (or something like that) and you will see 'top 25 surveys sites' on the list. It is very useful and full of tips as well.

You could also pop over to the 'Make upto £10 a day in January' thread (just put that in the 'forum search' on the green line) and you will find a super thread full of surveys and lots of other ideas for making monies.

HTH and good luck
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • Moll
    Options
    If you look on the top line on the page (dark blue) on furthest right you will see 'INCOME'. Click on that and then click 'boost your income' (or something like that) and you will see 'top 25 surveys sites' on the list. It is very useful and full of tips as well.

WOW thankyou Lynnejk I joined MSE way back in 2005 and had never seen that at the top of the page, Just goes to show that we are always learning from each other . Ill have a good look at that tonight xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure