2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning :)

My chicken pie was a great success, even with ready made pasty...lolol ;)

I don't feel guilty about it..I'm just aware of the word 'frugal' Anyway, as I said yesterday, I think this is more about being aware of what I'm spending and getting back into the life style habit of that at this point. :)

So, I spent yesterday updating addresses. I moved in September and while I did a couple then, I kept putting off doing anymore cause it takes so long...and guess what..it really does!

Today is house cleaning, getting some washing on, picking up a bit of shopping etc. It does mean putting a bra on and leaving the house, but needs must!

Will catch you all later. Have a lovely day. xx
  • Frugalsazzle
    Options
    Hi all

Please can I join this challenge. I've been reading posts and I admire everyone's determination!!

I have a bit of debt to clear on the cc and a loan I took out for house improvements. So ideally 2018 will see me clear all this off, get some savings behind me and hopefully take my family on a summer holiday.

The last 6 months have been tight for us as I'm on maternity leave but due to return end of this month so can start paying off the cc.

So far this month I have managed 2 NSD they are harder than expected to be honest. Today should be a NSD (fingers crossed) plan to cook a dinner with things already in but tomorrow will need to go shops so a few bits. We have workmen here and they drink so much tea and thought I'd treat them to some biscuits as they work in stupid weather conditions bless them! Also need to pay for my 3 year olds school dinners for the week so that's £10! She won't have packed lunch as she likes to sit with her friends when eating school dinner and I won't deprive her of that! Plus nice hot meal for her whilst it's freezing cold.

Right then off to prep dinner!! Hope you all have a lovely relaxing spend free Sunday!!

����
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’m on my 3rd nsd and currently enjoying frugal life. I’ve stayed home all weekend and played board games and watched movies.
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    My budget for this year is £8650.00 for absolutely everything. I will be left with £3472.57 a year. My 2nd NSD today. A very productive day today I've gone through all my cupboards doing an inventory of what needs to be eaten first. I'm trying to use up what I have in, instead of buying more food I don't need.

I had to buy two rape alarms for my mum and friend due to a person I know has been raped in the same village as me. Safety first but I managed to use my cash back and survey money to pay for them. I'm happy to know we are safe with our alarms.
  • angela110660
    Options
    Had 3 NSD last week and took lunch on the 3 days of work so pleased about that. Parked car for free then walked 15mins to train station each day I worked. We ate turkey curry and spag bol out of freezer last week too plus naans for curry. Used 3 free Cineworld tickets from our Lloyds bank acct deal to see Star Wars on NYE which was brilliant.
    Did spend £14 today at Card Factory on 16 cards to last me till April. Majority of them were family cards so more special and to be honest- alot cheaper than if I bought cards at the local card shop/post office/supermarket so very happy and they came out of the monthly birthday budget too. Glad I bothered to make up my list as saved lots of dosh and avoiding stress of missing a birthday.
  • bustiblondilocks
    Options
    Spent this morning...just 2 hours... intensively decluttering my bathroom.
    I've cleared the cupboards and got rid of them! I decanted the part bottles of shampoo and conditioner and bubble bath into the biggest bottle of each one and got full ones left over too. I've binned (to recycling) 25 now empty bottles!!! I've found I have 17 tubes of toothpaste and enough shampoo, conditioner, bubble bath and toilet roll to last the rest of the year. Whilst I'm quite pleased that I can now save on that part of the shopping list I'm mad at myself for hoarding so much to start with. Consoling myself with having paid lower prices than they will be now.
    Another no spend day today! Well, bought petrol but that's in the bills budget so accounted for already. Going to bed happy and eager to blitz rest of the house
    Year to date spend on non bills: £34.92
    Debts:
    1) overdraft £400
    2) overdraft £500
    3) S credit card £3150 min payment £101 pcm interest £37pcm
    4)T credit card £8108 min payment £200 pcm interest £128pcm
  • LittleGingerFox
    Options
    Total of 6 NSDs in total this year. It feels so silly to be so proud of myself for that but I cannot wait to see what my monthly save will actually be. I hope to be able to clear one CC on February's payday. I'm so impatient! I want to get there already! �� I'm being very adventurous with the store cupboard now (which I am still loving) and I'm still liking porridge and cinnamon and/or the packet of dried fruits and seeds I got from Lidl months ago which I never used! I have had a few hungry evenings after dinner as I was strict with the amount I wanted to take to work the next day for lunch. I'm not skipping meals because I am so poor but I'm interested to see if there will be any weight loss aswell ���� I'm going home on Thursday so I'll be being well fed by parents and friends. A friend is cooking dinner tomorrow night so that's good!
    Keep going everybody- you're all so inspirational. I'm just as excited to hear all your monthly savings aswell xx
    CC2-Total paid in March £1560.12/ Max credit card amount £6747.03/ £5098 to go!
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've found I have 17 tubes of toothpaste and enough shampoo, conditioner, bubble bath and toilet roll to last the rest of the year. Whilst I'm quite pleased that I can now save on that part of the shopping list I'm mad at myself for hoarding so much to start with.
    I did an inventory of most of my unopened toiletries on Tuesday, and discovered I have 10 tubes of toothpaste, 2 bottles of shampoo (one is 1.3 litres, and I have another of those at least half full), 2 bottles of conditioner (including a 1.3 litre one), 5 bottles of handwash, 26 bars of soap (plus some small novelty ones), 4 soap infused sponges (each lasts me around 6 months worth of showers!), and 9 bottles of shower gel. I then have several of most of those items part used which I still need to add to my inventory :eek:

I intentionally have enough toilet roll to last me the year, as I always stock up when a specific brand is on offer in Costc0 (at which point I get it for less than the cost of supermarket own brand). When it comes up I always buy if I have less than 12 months supply in stock.
    Cheryl
  • Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    . Used 3 free Cineworld tickets from our Lloyds bank acct deal to see Star Wars on NYE which was brilliant.

weve just moved over to Lloyds bank . do you have to have anything special ( bank account ) to get deals ?
  • Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ive been following this thread , I live frugally USUALLY.as a way of life , but have gone off the rails big time , Determined to get back on track NOW . Doing inventories tomorrow , and keeping a check on EVERYTHING as from today .............. I know we are part way through January, but im still starting at the beginning of the year . wish me luck , hopefully ill have ideas to help others too ,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure