Open return or flexible return flight tickets?

My son is due to go to work in New Zealand in the New Year, does anyone know if it is possible to book open return or flexible return flights? He isn't sure how long he will be working out there, so doesn't want to commit to a return date. Thank you! :)

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you checked what kind of flight his visa requires?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Esskay_2
    Esskay_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2017 at 5:28PM
    He's just got his visa - a Working Holiday Visa, but there are no flight requirements on it, it basically just says that you are able to prove you can afford to pay for a ticket home... :)
  • Blue264
    Blue264 Posts: 1,570 Forumite
    Open return tickets are rare these days, and cost the earth, so your son should look at booking a return flight for 6mths after the outbound date, which can be changed for a fee.

Personally, I wouldn't even do that. I'd book a one way fare with Air New Zealand (who are my favourite airline) and look at the cost of a Skycouch in Economy. The one way outbound Economy fare on 29 Jan is £512. with a one way fare so low, there's no reason to tie yourself to a return ticket, where your son will have to pay a minimum of £100 change fee plus any fare increase. Just book the cheapest one way outbound, and be free to book the cheapest one way for the return when the date is known.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    A phone call to the airline explaining his desired return date is outwith the currently available booking date range and could they book the latest currently available date for him and add a note to the booking that one change can be made free of charge.

He may be charged a phone booking fee, but it'll be less than the change fee.

When he decides on a return date, check the booking class is the same as the original or there may be a fare difference to pay. The booking class will show on some on line travel agents if it doesn't show on the airline's website.
  • Esskay wrote: »
    My son is due to go to work in New Zealand in the New Year, does anyone know if it is possible to book open return or flexible return flights? He isn't sure how long he will be working out there, so doesn't want to commit to a return date. Thank you! :)

If hes got a working holiday visa he's basically going there on holiday, not to work, but intends doing a small amount of work while on his holiday. Work has to be a secondary intention . Yes you can get fully flexible tickets but they're very expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure