Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Gardening basics!

Sorry for the double post, I put this in the wrong place originally.

I have a medium sized suburban garden that was neglected for years before I came here.

This year I paid somebody to keep it in check and tame it a bit, I can't afford to do that long term so from now on I'm on my own!

It has a small lawn, some patio bits with horrid old flags where weeds come up between the cracks. Beds all round the edges included a big area at the back where most of the neighbours have Leylandii type things to block the view of the main road at the back. I have two lovely rowan trees there but the rest is a bit bare.

Lots of self seeded little shrubs and trees like hollies all round the edges that I want to get rid of, and some nice deliberately planted ones like rises, Camellias and Azaleas that I want to keep.

Sooooo.... I have about £150-200 to spend on some equipment. What are your tips on basic kit? Where can it be gotten cheaply? I know I'll need a mower, a hedge trimer, a shovel, a hoe, something for pruning and chopping branches, maybe an axe.

Am I thinking along the right lines? Any garden experts here willing to help a novice!

Replies

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Missed a fork off your list

Do not be fooled into "buying cheap tools". They will not last and bend / break after a bit of use

If only small lawn then a small electric Flymo type should do you. As you will only use it in the summer, cheap would be OK here

Pruning / chopping. Look out for loppers, if you get the telescopic ones that should take care of any higher branches. If you have thick branches then a pruning saw, the folding sort would be handy. You could go cheap here as it will not be often used

Secateurs, pruning. Don't go cheap here, bypass £land and B & M, but no need to go mad, but expect between fiver to tenner.
  • Do you think something like this would be ok? I'm basing it partly on the fact that my Bosch washing machines have always been good!

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Bosch-Rotak-32-R-Rotary-Lawnmower/p/132293

There are lawns front and back but they aren't big at all, the lawn at the back is probably about 5m x 3m, smaller at the front. Much more of the garden is beds/borders and patio.
  • On secateurs, I would be inclined to go cheap. Two pairs for £5 from Aldi ATM. My reason is that you'll put that expensive pair of secateurs down on some clippings, accidentally put some more clippings on top, put them on the compost, and only discover them six months later. :rotfl:
  • On secateurs, I would be inclined to go cheap. Two pairs for £5 from Aldi ATM. My reason is that you'll put that expensive pair of secateurs down on some clippings, accidentally put some more clippings on top, put them on the compost, and only discover them six months later. :rotfl:

Are you speaking from personal experience here!
  • Do you think something like this would be ok? I'm basing it partly on the fact that my Bosch washing machines have always been good!

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Bosch-Rotak-32-R-Rotary-Lawnmower/p/132293

There are lawns front and back but they aren't big at all, the lawn at the back is probably about 5m x 3m, smaller at the front. Much more of the garden is beds/borders and patio.

They are ok I've got same model but that's the normal price for it.......I would hope that lawnmower prices would be a lot cheaper in winter
  • d0nkeyk0ngd0nkeyk0ng Forumite
    871 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    For that budget, you're probably looking at corded electric as opposed to petrol or cordless. The Bosch lawnmower is okay. I have the 37R version which has a wider blade (so cuts more, less time taken) and it's done well for the last two years.

I have a Bosch hedge trimmer but mine cost £150. I'd consider hand tools for the time being and take it from there. I like Fiskars stuff but Bulldog stuff is supposed to be good, as is Spear & Jackson.

Look at loppers for branches, shears for smaller stuff, and maybe a garden saw for larger stuff.

Fiskars and Wolf-Garten do multi-tools. The idea is that you buy one handle, and then buy attachments eg rake, hoe, fork etc. Not sure how cost saving it is over regular tools.
  • edited 12 December 2017 at 4:48PM
    glasgowdanglasgowdan Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 12 December 2017 at 4:48PM
    An electric Bosch mower would be fine. Look second hand, £30 will sort you out.

Get a cheap spray tank and some weed killer. https://www.screwfix.com/p/solo-so402-white-handheld-sprayer-2ltr/4738J?kpid=4738J&ds_rl=1249484&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_NDv8uiE2AIVxZ3tCh17iAy_EAQYASABEgJG1fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNOfvPnohNgCFcqpUQod6VUPtQ

Soil rake.

Shears.

Secateurs.

Pruning saw.

Spade (you'll cope fine without a garden fork. I garden for a living and hardly ever use mine).

Spring tine leaf rake.

Flexitub.

Coated work gloves.
  • Are you speaking from personal experience here!

Yes, although thankfully they weren't that expensive. To be honest, I'm always losing them!
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    46.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    if you have stuff growing you want to dig out then the best tool for that job is a Mattock.

They do full size ones and mini ones.

if the stuff you don't want is not too big yet or access is difficult the mini one might do.

find it handy for any digging jobs.

for other tools
    End of season(Aug/Sept) Wilko always have tools and garden stuff at 75% off
    usually hits hotukdeals so you can see when the discounts start

last year(16) got a nice stainless steel digging spade for <£5.

Don't forget a compost bin
    A shredder may be going a bit too far but can make disposal(composting) a lot easier if you don't have a garden waste collection and the tip is too far or you don't have space in the car.

I have a tarp I put over the boot and back seats down to get rid of the bigger stuff I can't shred, everything else gets composted along with the kitchen stuff.

you can pick up weedkiller cheap for the patio again at end of season Tesco often have it really cheap if wilko has sold out, I get the concentrate in tubes to dilute into a spray bottle
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    We seem to have missed off a trowel & hand fork

You will need the trowel at least for planting say bedding plants, or bulbs
    Hand fork, not strictly required but they are often part of a set

Cheap would do here as not often used
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023