Need a bit of advice. Not sure if I should refund or not.

Options
1235»

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,264 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unreasonable buyers do often break eBay's rules, which helps a lot. In this case they're clearly making unreasonable demands, which should put eBay on the seller's side as this is against eBay's rules. Keep calling eBay until you get someone helpful is my usual strategy, it works quite well so far. Oh, and never take their word for it if they tell you not to do anything!

What rules do you think the buyer has broken?

There is nothing that says a buyer can't ask for a reduction , the seller is not obliged to agree and it seems that buyer in this instance paid the full amount requested.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to clear things up.

They hadn't broken any rules.
    They paid in full, and then kicked up a stink and started demanding and complaining. And then started quoting Ebay rules, fees, etc. This was more or less within about 10/15 minutes after paying.
    I'm normally quite flexible, and will help anybody out, but in this case, they were so obnoxious and had an attitude, I thought (after asking on here 'WWYD?' ) it best to give them their money back and asked them to buy elsewhere.
    It would have helped if they had asked about p&p first, instead of bidding & winning in the dying seconds, then kicking off.
    Sometimes, alarm bells start ringing and this was one of those times. I now know that - depressingly - buyers can pay again for cancelled items, and still message after being blocked and Ebay chat, while polite, are sometimes as useful as a chocolate fireguard. That's why I asked for advice here.
    I'll admit that I have used Ebay for a long time, built up good feedback, etc, but it's the first time I've come across someone like that. I suppose that it's good practice/experience for the future.
    Although I hope to never come across someone like that again ;)
    Thanks again.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    Options
    I think you did the right thing. Its pointless sending something when there is a pretty good chance there will be a problem. It is clear from your first post that this was not going to end well. Personally I would have marked the item as dispatched, said you posted it untracked/not signed for. Then when the buyer claimed INR, apologised and refunded them. Then wait till after Christmas and relist.

I know its not the right thing to do. However as previous posts on this board show, Ebay doesn't always act or allow you to act in the right way. Sometimes you have to bend the rules. You would have not had to send something to someone who was obviously going to cause problems. The buyer would have not been out of pocket.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    I think you did the right thing. Its pointless sending something when there is a pretty good chance there will be a problem. It is clear from your first post that this was not going to end well. Personally I would have marked the item as dispatched, said you posted it untracked/not signed for. Then when the buyer claimed INR, apologised and refunded them. Then wait till after Christmas and relist on another account.

I know its not the right thing to do. However as previous posts on this board show, Ebay doesn't always act or allow you to act in the right way. Sometimes you have to bend the rules. You would have not had to send something to someone who was obviously going to cause problems. The buyer would have not been out of pocket.

This is almost perfect, bar the highlighted section.
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    I think you did the right thing. Its pointless sending something when there is a pretty good chance there will be a problem. It is clear from your first post that this was not going to end well. Personally I would have marked the item as dispatched, said you posted it untracked/not signed for. Then when the buyer claimed INR, apologised and refunded them. Then wait till after Christmas and relist.

Dastardly you lot, dastardly :eek::rotfl::T
    Pity we only have one account...... :rotfl:
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • Pierre_De_Grenoble
    Options

To be honest I relist on the same account. maybe I'll alter a couple of words etc. or a picture perhaps. The cranky buyer has been blocked anyways.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    To be honest I relist on the same account. maybe I'll alter a couple of words etc. or a picture perhaps. The cranky buyer has been blocked anyways.

I would never relist on the same account, a determined [scorned] buyer may find a way - relative or friend to buy etc. With a new account it makes them less certain you are the same person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure