Need a bit of advice. Not sure if I should refund or not.

Options

Comments

• dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »
    I concur. I would not send and cancel, I never get into debates with buyers. Don't like the costs you agreed to when you made the offer or buy it now? Then it's cancelled. No ifs, no buts and onto the block list you go.

I strongly advise the seller not to post.

Thankyou so much. I have been uming and aaring about this. It's packed ready to go, and my gut instinct to still to cancel it. I think they want to receive it, try and get their money back, and then sell it on.
    I can't shake off this bad feeling. I think I will cancel it after all. Thankyou again
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    dontone wrote: »
    I know she isn't. She's just given a bit of advice, which is all I wanted. I wasn't sure if I would be penalised for doing a refund, she confirmed it, end of. I am grateful to her for taking the time to respond.
    TBH, I think that this will be the last time that I will ask for advice on the section of the forum. I felt a bit like I was being chastised and all I wanted was a neutral opinion.
    My p&p costs are there for all to see, I don't hide anything from anybody who wishes to bid on my items. I don't mind if people don't bid if they think it is too high, it is entirely up to them. What my problem was, was that this person bid, won and started with an attitude after they paid.
    I just wanted to ask a WWYD? question.
    Now, can this thread be closed now please? Thankyou.

You can't account for the answers you get, it is opinion from the posters/readers here.

You appear to have taken the replies very personally. This is a moneysaving site and ideas on cutting postage price shouldn't be sniffed at, particularly when they come from more experienced sellers.

As for the cancellation. Do it by all means, you should not sell if you don't feel comfortable. But do be aware that you will get a defect. If you need help on what that may mean then ask.
  • dontone
    Options
    You can't account for the answers you get, it is opinion from the posters/readers here.

You appear to have taken the replies very personally. This is a moneysaving site and ideas on cutting postage price shouldn't be sniffed at, particularly when they come from more experienced sellers.

As for the cancellation. Do it by all means, you should not sell if you don't feel comfortable. But do be aware that you will get a defect. If you need help on what that may mean then ask.

It's okay thanks. I cancelled it and refunded, they threatened to dispute it.
    Been on live chat, and as I haven't violated any of their policies, my account is not affected. And the buyer can't report me. They have been blocked though.
    Apologies I it seemed like I took it personally, I did a bit, but, it did feel like I had to try and justify why I do what I do and it seemed that I was going round in circles. I do appreciate the advice though, and my mind has been put at rest. I would have really fretted had I have sent it.
    I'd rather cancel and keep the item, and also make them whole. Than what I think may have happened had I have sent it.
    Thanks to everybody for the help. It has been appreciated, and I know what to do now, should I get another buyer like that (hopefully never again lol :) )
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• askmeaboutsofas
    Options
    You've done the right thing to cancel, refund, and report the buyer to eBay for unreasonable behaviour. They are demanding a change to your stated postage methods or a discount, which is against ebay rules. Rules are here:
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/buying-practices.html
    If you haven't reported them yet it's worth doing, if they keep it up their account may get a warning.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    It's okay thanks. I cancelled it and refunded, they threatened to dispute it.
    Been on live chat, and as I haven't violated any of their policies, my account is not affected. And the buyer can't report me. They have been blocked though.

What was the reason for cancellation when you filed it?

Have a look at your dashboard after the 20th. You may find you've fallen for the fibs. ;)

If you don't sell a lot it (the defect) could impact your account.
  • dontone
    edited 11 December 2017 at 3:19PM
    Options
    What was the reason for cancellation when you filed it?

Have a look at your dashboard after the 20th. You may find you've fallen for the fibs. ;)

If you don't sell a lot it (the defect) could impact your account.

I put it down as problem with address - there wasn't a lot of options tbh.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll keep a look out.
    Btw, I cancelled it, refunded as stated. The cheeky thing paid again this morning. Had to go back on chat to sort it. They said that they will refund them and will do so if they try and pay again. And also to ignore their messages. Hope it's over. What a palaver.
    I don't want their money, just to go away and try and bully someone else.

• usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    Btw, I cancelled it, refunded as stated. The cheeky thing paid again this morning. Had to go back on chat to sort it. They said that they will refund them and will do so if they try and pay again. And also to ignore their messages. Hope it's over. What a palaver.

If they pay again, just keep hold of the money until they open a INR case. Wait until the last possible moment to refund and issue the refund via an e-cheque that will take days to clear.

You will get a negative now whatever happens so drag things out for maximum inconvenience as much as you can.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options

You will need to see if you get your fees refunded. Cancellation on grounds of address is not correct in this situation and if the buyer kicks up a fuss or refuses the cancellation it will deprive you of your eBay fee refund.

If they've paid again, it's already cost you 2 x 20p for the Paypal transaction and as it stands the buyer has grounds to leave feedback - if they can find out how to do it.
  • dontone
    Options
    I did explain to Ebay chat what I did re. the reason, and asked if that was okay, and they said that I hadn't violated any policies.
    I will keep an eye out though,
    TBH, re. feedback, I have been expecting it since yesterday afternoon. It's one of those 'just get it done will you?' things.
    I'm not too fussed about them leaving a negative, it's the fact that I have refunded/cancelled and they have been allowed to pay again. I don't get it.
    The payment hasn't been reversed by Ebay yet either. I'm assuming that it does take a while (I hope). I just want it out of my PP account.
    If they hadn't been so rude and complained as soon as they paid, I would have sent it this morning with the others that I've sold.
    Thanks for everybody's replies so far. It's appreciated :)

• theonlywayisup
    Options
    I did explain to Ebay chat what I did re. the reason, and asked if that was okay, and they said that I hadn't violated any policies.
    I will keep an eye out though,
    TBH, re. feedback, I have been expecting it since yesterday afternoon. It's one of those 'just get it done will you?' things.
    I'm not too fussed about them leaving a negative, it's the fact that I have refunded/cancelled and they have been allowed to pay again. I don't get it.
    The payment hasn't been reversed by Ebay yet either. I'm assuming that it does take a while (I hope). I just want it out of my PP account.
    If they hadn't been so rude and complained as soon as they paid, I would have sent it this morning with the others that I've sold.
    Thanks for everybody's replies so far. It's appreciated :)

The refund delay *may be down to the buyer refusing the cancellation. This won't affect the final result (them being refunded) but could include the fees not being included - if you have a copy of the live chat transcript (and the SR number) then you should challenge ebay on that.

*hopefully not.

The 40p won't be reimbursed by Paypal but their fees will be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure