PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

City-dwellers looking to move to the country - advice/experiences?

Options
1235»

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,657 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ...and, if their tractors are anything like the ones I see now = they're blimmin' enormous, ie could run you over and probably not even realise...:)

Yes, UK agriculture has moved on a bit since the "Little Grey Fergie" - the Ferguson TE20.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • hunters
    hunters Posts: 827 Forumite
    Options
    ...and, if their tractors are anything like the ones I see now = they're blimmin' enormous, ie could run you over and probably not even realise...:)

Have you found anything to praise at all about where you live?
    :j
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hunters wrote: »
    One thing to remember about the local farmer and their tractors is they are your friend in bad weather! Before most people are stirring with their cars in snowy weather our farmer comes along and clears the road of snow and if icy spreads some salt/grit. They can make as much noise as they like while doing so as far as I’m concerned :)

And although it never happened to me, several of my neighbours managed to get themselves stuck in snow trying to get from our unmade track onto the road and had to be hauled out by the local farmer and his tractor.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes, UK agriculture has moved on a bit since the "Little Grey Fergie" - the Ferguson TE20.
    I remember being very upset when I moved to the country at the tender age of 8, to find I lacked a key lifeskill: how to drive a Fergie.

I soon learned.....but the shame! :o
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm a Londoner who moved to rural NI 11 years ago

Seriously you cannot understand the differences till you actually live it

We do live pretty close to a B road so after a day or two the gritter and snow plough reaches us. If you dont live on an A or B road you are relient on local farmers and the reliability of you car

Living rural also means over head electric cables, since I lived here we went 5 days without electricity, and three days where it was so cold the oil froze

Broadband , as home workers, the OP really needs to check this out. When we moved here, the government were so proud that the whole of NI had access to BB. They didn't say that 512 was the average speed

Noise, the country is noisy. Cocks crowing is the least of your worries. Contractors bringing in the silage and harvest, working till 2 or 3 am, with full lights on, that's noisy and bright

We won't mention lamping ;)

You need to become part of the scene. You have to join the pub or church to become part and parcel

Me and Mr S have been welcomed into our community. We both have seen other people move here and they are not welcomed and don't fit in ( my own mother is one). And it's not just our eyes seeing it, we are told stories from our local friends where it's not worked out

So I'm 6 miles from a town and 50 miles to a city. At first ( maybe the first 6 or 7 years) it was a nightmare. I'm a Londoner and am use to having everything on me doorstep or a phone call away. Now I'm used to planning a day to the city and except there's no take always who deliver here and accept there's not even a decent curry house :)

But with all that, me and he made the best move for us. We were ready to leave London. We had served our time and weren't poor ( not rich but our assets went further). I'm glad we took the leap
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure