Outfox the Market reviews: add your feedback

Options

Comments

• egyptiancotton
    Options
    I'm considering jumping to OTM but they only have a variable tariff available. It's £4 a month cheaper than the cheapest 12-month fixed tariff (Eon - but £60 exit fee). I could go for fixed tariff without an exit fee but it's slightly more expensive again. I can't see OTM raising its prices anytime soon (I hope). So I might take a chance with the variable tariff.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    lloydyyy wrote: »
    I'm considering jumping to OTM but they only have a variable tariff available. It's £4 a month cheaper than the cheapest 12-month fixed tariff (Eon - but £60 exit fee). I could go for fixed tariff without an exit fee but it's slightly more expensive again. I can't see OTM raising its prices anytime soon (I hope). So I might take a chance with the variable tariff.

They have offered fixed tariffs previously (I'm on one), but they don't presently. I would be less confident than you about no further price rises in the next 12 months on their variable tariff.
  • egyptiancotton
    egyptiancotton Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 August 2018 at 10:34PM
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    They have offered fixed tariffs previously (I'm on one), but they don't presently. I would be less confident than you about no further price rises in the next 12 months on their variable tariff.

Shame they don't presently offer a fixed tariff to new customers. I'll probably steer clear of the variable tariff and sign up to the cheapest fixed rate tariff with Eon for 12 months. I don't see the point in paying £24 a year more for a fixed tariff with no exit fee.

Edit: Saying that, I think OTM's Whack! tariff has a £50 per fuel exit fee, so I'd probably still opt for that tariff if it was the cheapest fixed rate tariff.

Edit2: Just ran another price comparison and now EDF have come out the cheapest on a fixed rate tariff - only £36 a year more expensive than OTM's variable tariff. I'll switch to EDF and avoid the risk of OTM's variable tariff.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    lloydyyy wrote: »
    Shame they don't presently offer a fixed tariff to new customers. I'll probably steer clear of the variable tariff and sign up to the cheapest fixed rate tariff with Eon for 12 months. I don't see the point in paying £24 a year more for a fixed tariff with no exit fee.

If I were in your shoes that is what I would do, but it remains a gamble. My best guess is that Outfox the Market will increase their variable tariff again, but I may be wrong. The cost difference between that tariff and the E-on tariff, however, is small and probably not worth worrying about. When I signed up to the fixed tariff with Outfox the Market I could have got a marginally cheaper deal by going for a variable tariff (with them and elsewhere), but if I had then I would now be paying more, as all of those companies have now increased their tariffs, making my fix the (much) cheaper option. On the whole, I don't favour variable tariffs.

I'd also agree that it isn't worth paying more to avoid the exit fee. There is only limited chance that you would want to switch anyway during the fixed period.
  • NandK
    Options
    We switched to OTM about six months ago. The switch was smooth and compared to my last supplier (CoOp) the website actually works and allows you to submit readings easily and look up usage, statements etc.
    The one issue we have had is in trying to get some overpayment refunded. We were £260 pounds in credit so via their chat we asked for a £250 refund, however after nine days had heard nothing. I emailed and received a reply on the next working day with a £100 refund. I rang the following day asking why I had only received a £100 refund but no-one could tell me, with an additional payment now paid we were still £230 in credit, the operator said they would request an additional £100 but I insisted it should be £150, no reply or additional refund yet after two days. They did offer to reduce our monthly payments, however we really wanted the money back and to keep the monthly payments higher as the cooler and wetter weather will be here soon.
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NandK wrote: »
    We switched to OTM about six months ago. The switch was smooth and compared to my last supplier (CoOp) the website actually works and allows you to submit readings easily and look up usage, statements etc.
    The one issue we have had is in trying to get some overpayment refunded. We were £260 pounds in credit so via their chat we asked for a £250 refund, however after nine days had heard nothing. I emailed and received a reply on the next working day with a £100 refund. I rang the following day asking why I had only received a £100 refund but no-one could tell me, with an additional payment now paid we were still £230 in credit, the operator said they would request an additional £100 but I insisted it should be £150, no reply or additional refund yet after two days. They did offer to reduce our monthly payments, however we really wanted the money back and to keep the monthly payments higher as the cooler and wetter weather will be here soon.

Sorry to hear that an energy supplier is refusing to give you your credit back.

You can start a claim online here for it's return
    https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Perhaps in future, you may want to be careful about paying monthly by DD if you only want to pay for what you have actually used after you have used it? There are tariffs, certainly from other suppliers, that will allow you to only pay what is oed after receipt of the bill :)
  • Fleurs
    Options
    I moved my Mothers energy to this company and it went very smoothly. We have 2 properties and I have just moved both of them over to OTM. Apart from offering excellent pricing, we have a difficulty in that our main property has not been added to the energy suppliers database (even though it was built 9 years ago) and our property could get confused with our next door neighbour (we are 90a and they are 90). I spoke to Daria at OtM who knew exactly the problem and explained that they can differentiate from next door using the meter numbers (unlike some other major suppliers that I spoke to). Excellent friendly service and they were answering on Bank Holiday.
  • martyp
    martyp Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just thought I'd post my experience so far with my switch to OFTM. I was with Iresa for electric and Bristol Energy for gas, both suppliers had also been a good experience for me but enough about them...
    I attempted the switch at the start of August based on Iresa folding and my fix with Bristol Energy ending in September. Straight after starting the process on the website I received a couple of e-mails. I was soon informed that Octopus (that took over from Iresa) were blocking switches until the 21st and they asked if I'd like to start the switch then instead so agreed. They so far seem to be keeping me informed, have set up the direct debit and shifted dates accordingly.
    I have sent a few e-mails to them and received a reply by the next working day, generally the same day.
    Only two hiccups experienced so far:
    1) The online account comes up with an error but they have advised this is because the electric hasn't transferred over yet and will be ok then
    2) They set up the direct debit for the end of this month but then changed it to the 12th of the following month due to the delay with the electric but I had a payment go out at the end of this month. I contacted them and they're going to take the next payment the following month instead and apologised.
  • tawse57
    tawse57 Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is OFTM a 12 month contract or not?

The tariff is variable but are you then locked into a 12 month contract with them - the only benefit being that they are currently cheaper than some other suppliers?

Or can you leave any time you wish without penalty?

Sorry for the numpty question.
    This is not financial nor legal nor property advice. Consult a paid professional if in doubt.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tawse57 wrote: »
    Is OFTM a 12 month contract or not?

The tariff is variable but are you then locked into a 12 month contract with them - the only benefit being that they are currently cheaper than some other suppliers?

Or can you leave any time you wish without penalty?

Sorry for the numpty question.

They do not currently do any fixed tariffs with minimum periods.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback