Outfox the Market reviews: add your feedback

Options

Comments

• VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I decided to have a quick look at my account today, after I signed up about 3 months ago, and I'm detecting a strong whiff of male cow manure in the air.

For some reason they have decided the estimated annual usage I supplied (2385) was inaccurate, and they have increased the estimate (2441), which conveniently (for them) places me in a higher band for the membership fee.

I fail to see the justification for this increase as my daily usage since joining has actually gone down.

I've had a look at the T&Cs and found

Under the Whack! Tariff, the unit rate element is fixed. However, membership fees may still vary depending on usage and we reserve the right to review and amend these charges where necessary. The monthly membership fee is based on your estimated annual consumption. (EAC).
    This is an industry provided figure based on a rolling two-year consumption history and this can result in your membership band being amended at any point.
    I assume from this, companies can obtain these figures from each other, but had they done this they would have noted an average usage over the last 2 years of 2240, which is well below their threshold for increasing the fee.

I won't be doing anything about it yet. It's only £2 a month and Outfox still work out a lot cheaper than the competition, but if I find they're continuing to overcharge, which may not be until I've been with them for a full 12 months, I will be complaining.

For now this is just a warning that if you sign up, you may be dealing with a somewhat unscrupulous company.
  • Trentenders
    Trentenders Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They did exactly the same to me. I complained and had it reduced, with my previous invoices recalculated at the lower rate.

Don't stand for this sort of thing - it's plain wrong.
  • Mistymorn33
    Options
    I started with Outfox the Market on 3rd July and less than 1 week later.

Dear Customer,
    Since February 2018, wholesale energy costs have risen substantially with gas and electricity prices increasing by 22%. In light of this, we have made the unavoidable decision to raise the price you pay for your energy by 6.5%*.

For the average household on a dual fuel tariff, this will add £4.41 a month or £52.92 a year to your bill. These changes will come into effect on the 8th August 2018.

Very disappointed.
  • Ap299
    Ap299 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I started with Outfox the Market on 3rd July and less than 1 week later.

Dear Customer,
    Since February 2018, wholesale energy costs have risen substantially with gas and electricity prices increasing by 22%. In light of this, we have made the unavoidable decision to raise the price you pay for your energy by 6.5%*.

For the average household on a dual fuel tariff, this will add £4.41 a month or £52.92 a year to your bill. These changes will come into effect on the 8th August 2018.

Very disappointed.

Just when I was about to sign up with them today :( Anyone else can share ? If monthly cost goes up to £4-5 more then I can pay a little more and might as well go with one of the big players.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 11 July 2018 at 3:12PM
    Options
    Ap299 wrote: »
    Just when I was about to sign up with them today :( Anyone else can share ? If monthly cost goes up to £4-5 more then I can pay a little more and might as well go with one of the big players.

You need to do a personalised quote with OFTM, MSE Energy Club, uSwitch etc to find the savings.

Just because they refer to the 'average household', it doesn't mean it will apply to you. In fact, the chances are it won't. For me, for example, a tariff with one of the big players will still be over 15% more expensive than OFTM even after the price rise.
  • you_llneverwalkalone
    Options
    I have just logged into my account to submit meter readings & a notice appeared stating that OFTM are raising prices on my account by 6.5%.

I am on the Whack January fixed tariff so I do not know why I received the notice.

Has anyone received this notice of a price rise?

I will update when I contact oftm.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just logged into my account to submit meter readings & a notice appeared stating that OFTM are raising prices on my account by 6.5%.

I am on the Whack January fixed tariff so I do not know why I received the notice.

I am also on the fixed rate tariff from Feb 18 to Aug 19. I sent an E-mail asking why it had appeared as it was not applicable to me. They replied and said it did not apply to me and they were sorry to cause any distress.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• Verdigris
    Verdigris Posts: 1,725 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 14 July 2018 at 3:29PM
    Options
    I'm pleased to hear that the price rise message has been sent to fixed-deal customers by mistake. I didn't want to click the "OK" button at the bottom of the message, to enter my account page, in case it signified I was agreeing to the price hike.

Glad I can go back to being smug about getting an 18 month fix just before the Big-6 started whacking their prices up.

My experience of OFTM has been excellent, so far. Long may it continue.
  • you_llneverwalkalone
    Options

I have contacted OFTM this morning and they confirmed that the price rise notice was issued to me in error.
  • Verdigris
    Verdigris Posts: 1,725 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I've had written confirmation that the price rise does not apply to fixed deal customers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback