Supermarket fuel v the rest

Options

Comments

• Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I agree that some claims may be optimistic, but there are still those who won't accept that some people have found an improvement, and are convinced there is no difference between using supermarket and branded fuel.

I'll accept that some people subjectively think that there is an improvement.
    As I said before, I think that my car drives better when I've washed it. However when I look at it objectively I can see no logical reason at all why it should make it any better. So it must be that I "feel" better about it.
    I think that the fuel thing is much the same.
    If you bring me the figures off a rolling road to prove that your car is producing more bhp on a given fuel, for a given throttle setting, then I'll believe that. Figures from a vibration testing rig to say it's smoother for a given load? Great! no argument.
    Otherwise as Joe Horner says above there are just too many variables.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd be happy with the results of genuinely double-blind trials.
  • Jackmydad
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    I'd be happy with the results of genuinely double-blind trials.
    Yes that would do it as well with a lot less trouble.
    I'm pretty sure that it'd show no significant difference though.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    As I said before, I think that my car drives better when I've washed it. However when I look at it objectively I can see no logical reason at all why it should make it any better.

Well, obviously, the layer of dirt affects the surface finish and increases wind resistance, plus alters the weight distribution because most of the dirt tends to accumulate around the back.

Many drivers who just use cars A to B probably wouldn't notice the difference but a true enthusiast like yourself .... :beer:
  • Jackmydad
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Well, obviously, the layer of dirt affects the surface finish and increases wind resistance, plus alters the weight distribution because most of the dirt tends to accumulate around the back.

Many drivers who just use cars A to B probably wouldn't notice the difference but a true enthusiast like yourself .... :beer:

:rotfl:
    Of course a really good wax helps too! :D
    A true enthusiast like me who drives an eight year old Peugeot, and doesn't clean the car very often!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some of that can be down to the electronic ignition and the design of the engine. Some petrol engines are designed to run on premium fuel but can run on anything, others are optimised for the basic fuel and aren't going to achieve much.

Also, you need to consider whether you are really comparing apples and pears - often people seem to discuss comparing supermarket fuel with a branded premium fuel, not a branded basic fuel. I'd say a base fuel from a brand isn't going to be much different from supermarket fuel (and often isn't priced much different depending on location either to be fair).

This thread was specifically started about diesel fuel though.

Also dont confuse "premium" petrol with high octane petrol.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Well, I filled his car with ordinary branded diesel yesterday. Not supermarket diesel, but not premium diesel either. Baby steps.

Will see if he notices...
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If diesel, I'd use a branded fuel rather than supermarket during the winter months. I understand a higher % of biodiesel is used in supermarket diesel.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,894 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know about diesel, but petrol formulations change throughout the year to cope with seasonal temperatures.

I always use supermarket petrol stations and when using motorways use those websites that show where the nearest cheap supermarket petrol is.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    Don't know about diesel, but petrol formulations change throughout the year to cope with seasonal temperatures.

I always use supermarket petrol stations and when using motorways use those websites that show where the nearest cheap supermarket petrol is.

Yes theres winter diesel and summer diesel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure