Supermarket fuel v the rest

Options

Comments

• vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    n217970 wrote: »
    I used to put vegtable oil in one of them, trust me they would run fine on anything.

Thats because the 406 had a PROPER diesel engine, as well as it being a rather good example of what the French did well anyway. without all the add ons of current vehicles.

VB
  • oscarward
    oscarward Posts: 898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    vansboy wrote: »
    Thats because the 406 had a PROPER diesel engine, as well as it being a rather good example of what the French did well anyway. without all the add ons of current vehicles.

VB

I agree, the current car engine is a PUG design built by Ford but the DPF cleaning method is different, which is where the problems lie.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    <My mate had a Picasso with the same engine as my Berlingo and it had always been run on supermarket diesel. It ran sluggish as hell>

Mine runs just the same on branded or supermarket or some of the smaller brands .
    All coming out of the same depot .

If you speak to someone that really knows what they are taking about . Its driving rather than additives or not that are filter cloggers .

Probably the Picasso had an additive dosing system built in .
  • oscarward
    edited 8 December 2017 at 4:33PM
    Options
    Peugeot Citroen use a method of having a separate tank with a special fluid in (lasts 80k miles from memory) and every time you fill up a small amount is squirted in to the fuel tank. When the dpf indicates it is full the management system alters the engine parameters to make it run hotter and the additive makes the soot burn off more easily.

Jaguar (not sure about Ford) have a different method where there is no extra tank but when the dpf is full extra diesel is injected in to the cylinder on the exhaust stroke , parameters adjusted and the soot is burnt off.

The problem may arise when the engine is stopped in the middle of a DPF regeneration cycle and the excess fuel in the cylinder may trickle down and dilute the oil. If the car is used for mainly short journeys the regen is interrupted many times and over time if the oil becomes too diluted then the engine may destroy the crankshaft bearings. It is a known issue.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My mate's Picasso was a 2004 model and the issue was with the egr being clogged by the way the previous owner used it. The garage he took it to for a service after he realised just how much better my car ran had had a customer with a Berlingo van with the same issue.

The customer had owned the van from new and only ever ran it on supermarket diesel. The garage suggested trying branded fuel to see if it helped, and, if needed, add fuel based cleaner. The muck blocking the egr took some time to dissolve, but it was cheaper than £950 for a new egr.

Round my way, there is no difference in fuel prices between supermarkets and branded so I use which ever station I come across first when I need a fill up.

As for the mpg variance, my Astra returned 66 mpg on average with branded fuel and 56 mpg average on supermarket diesel. The Berlingo figures are very similar.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• oscarward
    Options
    EGR issues are another thing.. I have heard of people just blanking them off so they become irrelevant.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,632 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OH is not to be swayed - but as it's me that fills the cars up, it's not really up to him, is it??

If you fill the cars up will he ever know one way or the other?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Another factor to consider is engine temperature.

A diesel engine when cold may only return 18-25 mpg. This will rise as the engine warms up. So short journeys would return low mpg.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The first time this came out here, I had a different diesel car to the one I have now. I carried out tests and proved that I had better MPG and smoother running, with Shell V-Power. I use it exclusively for the same reasons, in my current car and I cannot be bothered to read any more arguments against. It's my choice and I am sticking to it.

If I see another Thread like this I shall ignore it.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    The first time this came out here, I had a different diesel car to the one I have now. I carried out tests and proved that I had better MPG and smoother running, with Shell V-Power. I use it exclusively for the same reasons, in my current car and I cannot be bothered to read any more arguments against. It's my choice and I am sticking to it.

If I see another Thread like this I shall ignore it.

That's the point I tried to make earlier. If you are happier running your car on branded fuel, despite all the naysayers on here, then do so. Similarly if you feel supermarket fuel is OK then do so.

I run both my private cars on branded fuel - a diesel Mazda 5 and petrol MINI Clubman. Both feel smoother and the exhaust tips are less sooty. As they cover low mileages the cost isn't a consideration.

With my 520d company car I run it on Supermarket fuel. Why? It runs OK and it goes back after 3 years.
    The man without a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport