Card Machine

Options
Hi All,

We have a small business selling paving slabs / concrete posts and fencing etc, we only accept cash or bank transfers at the moment but are getting asked about card payments more and more.

Can anyone recommend a good card reading machine that is mobile please?

A rough idea of cost would be great, out bank (Barclays) seem quite high

TIA,
Vics
Sainsbury CC - £1597.25 0% 18 mths left £37.57 Per month DD

Savings Goals 6500K / 10000K

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    some do it PAYG - iZettle for example.
    https://www.izettle.com/gb

You can install their app on your Bluetooth enabled smartphone and use the card reader to take payments. Initially its free, you just pay for the card reader and there are no ongoing fees, they just take 1.75% of the payments you put through it so if you go for two months without any card payments, you don't pay "rental" for those two months.
  • c-m
    c-m Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One thing to watch out for with card/merchant accounts is the delay between a customer paying, and you getting the cash. With some of the new mobile payments, there can be a significant delay.

If it were me I go with Paypal since they are a big name all your customers will have heard of, so won't be fazed when you pull out this mini card reader. Of course, you need to choose something that suits your business needs.

It's a year old now, but this article covers some of popular mobile readers.
    http://moneysavinganswers.com/business/mobile-card-readers-accepting-debit-and-credit-cards/
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have used Worldpay Zinc for a number of years now. No set up costs, no contract and no monthly fees. They charge 2.75% on each transaction and that's the only cost you pay. Some months I will have no card payments and other months 4 or 5. So this works for me. You have a card reader that is linked via blue tooth to your mobile phone or ipad.

I found it easy to set up and the customer support is uk based and pretty decent
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Paypal might be the best known solution and maybe the quickest (if you do a manual transfer) but they're far from being the cheapest.
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I purchased the iZettle, but I'm now worrying about the lack of receipts, but the cost of an accompanying printer is huge in comparison to the reader itself.

How important is the receipt do you think? Assuming there's a receipt for purchases via till.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sometimes offered the option of a receipt being emailed to me, can you do that?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

I purchased the iZettle, but I'm now worrying about the lack of receipts, but the cost of an accompanying printer is huge in comparison to the reader itself.

How important is the receipt do you think? Assuming there's a receipt for purchases via till.

I'd be very unhappy about paying by card and not being given a card payment voucher.
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    I email receipts to customers via my iZettle as the app allows this.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    Options
    SumUp is the cheapest and the card reader is great.

Only 1.69% no rental.

https://sumup.co.uk/

The app lets me send receipt via email and/or text message, no customers have had an issue for this.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • lon_don
    lon_don Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Percy,

Could you let me know how is the performance of sumup ? Is it working reliably day in day out, or does it experience downtime (that could last a whole day for instance) ?
    I've been with wpz for 4yrs, got a promotional rate of 1.95% (no minimum volume) so not too bad, have gone thru at least 3 or 4 card readers (each time had to buy new card reader when old one broke down). But my 2 main gripes are: reliability can be spotty (service down, not accepting payment, could last for whole day; also not infrequently card declined at first try then accepted at 2nd try so time-consuming and annoying for client) + wpz does not take Amex (sumup does, right?).
    So I'm now tempted to switch to sumup, for the slightly better rate, for Amex, and hopefully a bit better reliability. Will probably keep wpz as backup.
    Thanks for any feedback.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport