edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
1 reply 1.2K views
Ms_ChocaholicMs_Chocaholic Forumite
11.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
Hi

I have an enclosed rear garden in which there is a manhole, on about 4 occasions in the last two months I have been contacted by the Water company requesting access as there is a blockage at a property nearby. This has necessitated me leaving work early to let them have access.

When the water company rep has visited previously he has stated the blockage is down to the property flushing wipes down the toilet.

It's happened again! The water company need access, probably for the same reason but I won't know until the rep visits but it's the same property. As the water company have jet washed the pipes out each time, then something surely must be being flushed down that's causing the blockage(s).

Is there anything I can do as clearly the property owner seems to have little regard to the impact on his/her neighbours. Luckily I'm not affected by the blockage and everything is running smoothly.

Thanks
Ms Choc
Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time

Replies

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You presumably have a shared drain with your neighbour(s) which means under the new rules the water company are responsible for clearing that drain.

If the water company are certain who is the culprit and certain of the cause they can charge them for the work, or at least issue a warning. If more than one neighbour uses that shared drain it is more of a problem.

Often blockages are caused by a damaged pipe where these wipes initially get snagged.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals