gift for someone you don't know

Options

Comments

• onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If it’s something like tipping a hair dresser i’d Just give them some cash in a card. Far too many Christmas gifts go to waste. Eg my parents don’t drink much so they have absolutely no use for wine, beer etc. And chocolates, biscuits, cake etc just add to the general Christmas gluttony. Giving bath stuff is a minefield - some people have sensitive skin or aversion to particular smells. Clothing might not fit. Hats and scarves? Who doesn’t have those already? And general tat will just end up in the bin.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I’d steer well clear of any gift card with a value on it and opt for really expensive biscuits or perhaps some epicure tinned coffee if you know them to be a coffee drinker.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone some interesting points of view.

I wanted to get a gift to show my appreciation As my reasons above I don't want to give money/vouchers if I was to do that I could just tip everytime I pay her. However onlyroz makes some very valid points. Maybe I should just leave it and not bother, just get a nice card.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bottle of wine has always worked for me..

But it does depend what/who you are talking about
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What about a plant or a bunch of flowers.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Options
    I am not sure if I feel comfortable with this as its then clear how much I have spent :o

Is it generally acceptable to give money/gift cards to someone you don't know?

I do see the point as then they can get what they like so that avoids that complication. But on the otherhand it doesn't feel like I have put much thought into it.

Easier than buying something they didn't want and won't use.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I usually buy a plant or wine for the woman in the library who gets our book group books, then a box of biscuits for the rest of the staff.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Options
    Could you be guided by the service they provide for you? Eg if they walk your dog, a hat and glove set might be appreciated. If they cut your grass, one of those garden mugs that has a lid so bugs don't fly into it or some handcream for weathered hands that comes in a nice set.

But I wouldn't worry too much. This is the first Christmas my parents have been retired, but my Mum was a hairdresser and my Dad a bus driver for a special needs school. Both were given plenty of chocs, biscuits, booze at Christmastime. All was appreciated even if not all used and would be passed to the rest of the family, who also appreciated it.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Bottle of wine has always worked for me..

But it does depend what/who you are talking about
    I’ve lost count of the times I’ve been offloaded with somebody else’s unwanted wine. I’m sure you got a thanks whenever you’ve given it as a gift - doesn’t mean that it hasn’t joined the heap of unwanted gifts in the cupboard under the stairs though.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    I’ve lost count of the times I’ve been offloaded with somebody else’s unwanted wine. I’m sure you got a thanks whenever you’ve given it as a gift - doesn’t mean that it hasn’t joined the heap of unwanted gifts in the cupboard under the stairs though.

Even if people don't enjoy an occasional glass of wine themselves (and it is just before Christmas) they can always take it to a party or when they visit friends for a meal. I wouldn't describe that as "offloading"it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure