Do Eco flush toilets save money?

My water bill has been sky high! I live alone and do all the things on how to save money on my water bill!
Even the most extreme things such as:
-military showers(soap and rinse 5 mins)
-showering at my gym
-the whole “if it’s yellow let it mellow,if it’s brown flush it down”
-I do not take baths only military showers
-I do not use my dishwasher (I wash plates in sink etc)

My toilet is an old toilet probably from the 80’s, I was wondering if I invest in an eco flush toilet it would help save money on my water bill?

I have no idea how my water bill has gone up from £15 to £30 a month and even when I’ve called up my water company they just stated that’s how it is. My water is metered so how else can I save money on my water bill? Can I change my water provider I know this sounds dumb but again I’m one of those young property owners who has no clue nor parents to ask silly questions like this to!, any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    You have a leak
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 December 2017 at 12:18PM
    That's not everso helpful.

Try reading the meter yourself a bit more frequently to establish whethet you do actually have a leak or not.

Turn off everything in the house except the main stop !!!! and have a look at the meter - most have a little cog that rotates in the middle to indicate water flow. It should not be turning.

If it is then shut off the main stopcock in the house and then check the meter - it should not be turning. If it is still turning then you've got a leak between the meter and the internal stopcock which needs to be investigated. If it stops turning then you probably have a leak or a ball valve that's leaking indoors.

Turn the internal stopcock back on and if the meter starts moving again you need to go around looking for leaking cistern valves (check the tank in the loft as well if you've got one to make sure it's not letting by). Look at all the overflows and make sure that none of them are weeping and that no taps are dripping.

If you are in a flat, then it's not unheard of for others to be connected into your supply, so you need to check very carefully what's going on.

It's not difficult, it just need a bit of detective work. You should read you meter yourself regularly so you can see how much you are using and whether any of your water saving measures are working. You'll also see if there is a sudden change which could indicate a problem.

You can get the same effect as a so called eco loo, by puting a brick in the cistern to reduce it's capacity. Just make sure that it's clear of the ball valve and flush mechanism so it doesn't restrict it's operation.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    And for gawds sake don't drop the brick as you are putting it in the cistern.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,055
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Are your water bills based on estimated or actual readings ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • My water consumption went up 15% after I fitted a "water saving" toilet. You have to flush them 2, 3, sometimes even 4 times to get the pan to empty.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My toilet is an old toilet probably from the 80’s, I was wondering if I invest in an eco flush toilet it would help save money on my water bill?

Your water company may provide one of these for free - https://www.savewatersavemoney.co.uk/products/view/3028/free-hippo-severn-trent.html

I have no idea how my water bill has gone up from £15 to £30 a month

If that increase is a genuine increase in the amount of water through the meter and you haven't increased your water use, then there is a likely to be a leak somewhere.

Follow matelodave's advice and see what you find out.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I agree with Jack-Pott, our lo-flush loos hardly dilute the liquids let alone get rid of other stuff.

They also go wrong and leak more often and cost significantly more to fix than a good old fashioned syphon and ball-!!!! set up.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • I've just checked my average consumption over a longer, more accurate period, and the new toilet has increased my water use by 8.7%, not 15%, but it's still in the wrong direction, nevertheless.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    -I do not use my dishwasher (I wash plates in sink etc)
    Depending on how may times a day you wash in a sink by hand it can be cheaper and use less water by using your dishwasher, maybe once a day or every other day or even longer if you have enough items that you don't need to wash several times a day and you can wait until it is full.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Another one here who would love an old fashioned toilet. The five litre flush ones that were here when I moved in require flushing twice for anything other than a wee-wee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure