PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord wants tenant to fit a kitchen?

Options
Hi all,

So I'm currently looking to rent a house. I currently live in a HA flat and want something better for my son. I've found this house in a very nice area, very good schools, lovely garden, accepts pets and children. Bit more expensive than I was hoping to pay but not at the top end yet. And a big plus is long-term let so not upheaval. However! Called the estate agent and she says it's been on the market a while, last tenant was an elderly lady who sadly died. She said the kitchen has no cupboards and pretty bare. The landlord is hoping the new tenant will make it a long-term home but expects them to fit the kitchen in, offering 1 month free rent is they do so. Apparently tenants used to do this in the past.

OK! So that's a pretty tall order- don't want to lose a good place that otherwise ticks all the boxes- what would you do??
Up and onwards to the future!

:j

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd stay in the HA property and try and get a transfer; you will have no security of tenure in the new place.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I’d walk.

Can’t you do a swap with the HA?

I know a little of your story & personally I think you don’t need or deserve this hassle?
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Depends on how much the rent is.

Could you get some contractor wall units from a wholesaler and simply buy matching doors and draw fronts for less than 1 month's rent?. If so, then go for it.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    If you have a HA flat think very very carefully about giving up your security for the hazards of private renting.

It’s not at all normal or acceptable for a landlord to expect a tenant to fit a kitchen (unless perhaps she’s going to give you a 15 year tenancy to guarantee you’ll get the use of it, but I don’t see that happening) but other landlords won’t treat you much better.
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    Personally, if the price and area are right I’d be tempted to fit a kitchen, but I’d buy it second hand probably from eBay and fit it myself.

Or go retro with something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1940-50-s-Kitchen-larder-Unit-/152811718761
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Fit the kitchen, or supply and fit the kitchen?

If the former then personally I'd do it for a free months rent but then I have experience in fitting kitchens.

But no, this isn't a usual thing to ask of tenants at all.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rather depends on who is doing the fitting?

as a LL there is no way I'd let a tenant fit a kitchen unless the tenant was a kitchen fitter by trade. I'd expect to get a reasonable time out of a new kitchen and I doubt an "ordinary" tenant could (or would) do it well enough to ensure that

if the LL expects you to pay for the fitting you are going to get a shock at the size of the bill

if the LL "merely" expects you to be living there rent free whilst ano fits a kitchen then why? that makes no sense, move in after the work is done
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    What else would the landlord want you to replace during your tenancy? The boiler? All the carpets? The roof? Sounds like you're opening yourself up to a huge amount of future hassle with a landlord that can and will say "if you don't replace xyz yourself then I'll issue a section 21".
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unless your rent is high it won't cover the cost of supply and fitting a fully functioning kitchen which will last for its general life expectancy.

I think the 'LL has a nerve to be honest. This is their asset. They should be maintaining it and letting it fit for purpose.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you have a link to the rightmove ad so we can see what the current kitchen looks like and whether it ia salvagable?

I expect this request is the reason it is still on the market.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure