PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• buildersdaughter
    Options
    These are my very favourite soaps: https://www.frenchsoaps.co.uk/

in fact, I rarely buy from this site. I usually manage a visit to France once a year, and if I don't, all family & friends are under instruction to buy only Marseilles soap - blocks for everyday, liquid for travelling & hair. Usually I buy on markets much more cheaply. However, it lasts for ages, so is not bad value.

I have a lot of problems with other soaps, shampoos etc. but these are fantastic!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

in fact, I rarely buy from this site. I usually manage a visit to France once a year, and if I don't, all family & friends are under instruction to buy only Marseilles soap - blocks for everyday, liquid for travelling & hair. Usually I buy on markets much more cheaply. However, it lasts for ages, so is not bad value.

I have a lot of problems with other soaps, shampoos etc. but these are fantastic!

Ooh they look amazing
  • AstroTurtle
    Options

We make the trip once a year to southern france but always worth a trip to Marseilles!
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The soaps look fantastic, I have a square block of Marseilles soap, but Im not sure how to use it as it looks too big to use in the shower, How do people usually use them? My friend suggested I cut it in half, but its so magnificent in its square hugeness that I was rather reluctant, but Im still at a loss in what to do....
  • AstroTurtle
    Options
    elmer wrote: »
    The soaps look fantastic, I have a square block of Marseilles soap, but Im not sure how to use it as it looks too big to use in the shower, How do people usually use them? My friend suggested I cut it in half, but its so magnificent in its square hugeness that I was rather reluctant, but Im still at a loss in what to do....

Are you referring to the cube one or the rectlange thin blocks?
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    As a cheaper alternative to savon de Marseille, Holland and Barret do Olivia pure olive oil soap
    It only containers Olive oil and mineral salts
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    I just use it as a block, and yes, it lasts months! The French call the blocks 'casse-pieds' (foot breakers).
    I also use the old trick of keeping it in the airing cupboard to dry out, and theoretically to last a bit longer. My grandmother used to grate block soap to dissolve in water for hair washing, but I think it more wasteful than buying liquid soap.
    I think the block would be difficult to cut, but I see no reason not to try.
  • AstroTurtle
    Options
    I just use it as a block, and yes, it lasts months! The French call the blocks 'casse-pieds' (foot breakers).
    I also use the old trick of keeping it in the airing cupboard to dry out, and theoretically to last a bit longer. My grandmother used to grate block soap to dissolve in water for hair washing, but I think it more wasteful than buying liquid soap.
    I think the block would be difficult to cut, but I see no reason not to try.

Never thought about putting it in the airing cupboard, How much extra time do you get out of it from that?
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    if you use paper tissues instead of handkerchiefs and have a habit of accidentally leaving them in pockets before throwing them in the washing machine , switch to using a sheet of kitchen tissue instead. This is much stronger and doesn!!!8217;t disintegrate in the wash.

After a frustrating 20 minutes trying to brush and shake disintegrated white fluff off everything in a machine load of washing caused by my husband yet again leaving tissues in trouser and pyjama pockets without checking before throwing them in the laundry basket I,ve now banned him from using them !
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Primrose I've given up trusting Mr LW to properly check his pockets; I give all his trousers a quick fircle before putting them in the WM; also his dressing gown pockets whenever I give that a freshen-up (he doesn't wear pyjamas). Luckily we use hankies here, so no little bits of destroyed tissue to deal with, but I have occasionally found money left in pockets.

Builders Daughter that site looks interesting, thanks for posting the link. I'll have to save some money in order to purchase enough to get the free delivery. ;) I keep our spare soap in our respective underwear drawers; makes our "unmentionables" smell nice. :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure