Barclaycard PPI - Rejected Claim

Options
Having had some success using Resolver to claim PPI and packaged account charges from Lloyds I thought I'd take a look at two Barclaycards I've had for 20-odd years.
On their site is a link to the Barclays form for checking whether or not I had PPI on the cards so I filled that in a couple of weeks ago.
A letter arrived last week showing that I had PPI on both cards that I had, a Visa and a Mastercard, dating back to 12th July 1996. That was when I had applied for the cards.
I still hold the two cards from them though the Mastercard was swapped to a Visa by them a few years ago. Both had balances on them for a long time and I've only recently transferred those to a different card (0% balance transfer offer). I still have an active online account with Barclaycard though the card balances are now nil.
Following the advice in the letter I went to barclays.co.uk/ppi to try and make a complaint, only for their online form to fail at the submission stage. So, I went back to Resolver and followed the same procedure as I had with Lloyds. Off went the complaint.
Yesterday I've just had a letter from them saying that they were "unable to find a PPI policy your account using the information you have provided" and "I am sorry that without identifying a PPI policy on your account I am unable to investigate this further and your complaint will be closed".
Is that it now? Is it worth following up with the Ombudsman? Like most people I'd imagine I have statements from the last few years but nothing going back 20 years. The last annual statement (to July 2017) doesn't show anything other than balance and interest repayments.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bronsi wrote: »
    A letter arrived last week showing that I had PPI on both cards that I had, a Visa and a Mastercard, dating back to 12th July 1996.
    If this letter said you had PPI then it must have also given a reference that you should have quoted in your complaint. Are you certain the letter actually stated you had PPI though?
    "I am sorry that without identifying a PPI policy on your account I am unable to investigate this further and your complaint will be closed".
    So why are the two letters apparently contradictory? What exactly does the first letter say about this phantom PPI that the Bank have now said can't be found?
    Is it worth following up with the Ombudsman?
    Not without first properly ascertaining whether you actually had PPI. Re-read your first letter; does it actually say you had PPI?
    The last annual statement (to July 2017) doesn't show anything other than balance and interest repayments.
    Well, that certainly means you don't have PPI now. PPI on credit cards is only paid when the account has a balance and would appear on your statement very clearly itemised on a separate line.

You need to tell us exactly how the first letter was worded and so how it was that you came to believe you had PPI..
  • Bronsi
    Options
    Not allowed to post links :mad:
    http : // i65 . tinypic . com / 25gfmlh . jpg (take the spaces out of that)

That's the body of the letter I received. Fairly straightforward I thought.
    Just had a quick glance at Resolver and I hadn't quoted the reference on that letter in my complaint but by then I was pretty hacked off that Barclays' online form had cocked itself up after entering a load of information.
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd be very surprised if you didn't have PPI when the account was opened in 1996. The reason it might not be showing on your statements in the last few years is that either you, or, Barclays cancelled it when they stopped offering PPI to customers. As already mentioned if you have a letter from Barclays saying there was a PPI policy on this account you just need to quote their reference or send a copy to them.
    It sounds quite hopeful if the PPI checker team located the evidence and confirmed the date the account was opened because if your complaint is successful Barclays will calculate any redress based on existing records, so you might not need to provide statements from twenty years ago. Could be in for a good Christmas or New Year!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I hadn't quoted the reference on that letter in my complaint
    Therein lies your problem..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts