PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a house which has Moderate-High risk of subsidence

Options

Comments

• mailmannz
    Options
    We had this very same situation with a property we are going through the process of buying.

The fact is EVERY house in the neighbourhood is affected by this because its the underlying geology of the area.

We didn't lose any sleep over this as houses in the area we are moving in to come and go in days of being advertised for sale! I also spoke to friends who moved in to the same area and they had the same report and still purchased their houses anyways.

I don't think this is anything to lose sleep over.

Regards

Mailman
  • JennaMay_2
    Options
    Thanks for this. This is really helpful. There is a flood risk on the report - for an area within so many meters of the property. The historical flood data shows that this was a v brook which flooded which is runs past outside the very back of the property’s garden. The last recorded floods were in the 1960’s (before the house was built) and I believe there is flood defences there now. I didn’t think this was something to worry over but do you think it should be considering the house is built on clay? Many thanks.
  • JennaMay_2
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »
    As others have pointed out the whole of London is built on clay.

If there is no obvious signs of subsidence, there is generally speaking nothing to worry about and you are taking no extra risk, than the thousands of other home owners with properties built on clay.

The other factor is if the property is in a high risk flood area, which conveyancing would reveal.

With an extension, you need adequate foundations which a good builder would factor in.

A good driveway shouldn't affect the stability of the house in the slightest, as long as the builders take into account surface water drainage. Which they don't always do looking at some of the disasters on my street, where the houses are lower than the road and rainwater is hitting the main house and going into the sub floor vents.

Thank you for your really helpful reply - the environmental report did also show a flood risk but this appears to be a brook within so many metres of the property which historic data shows flooding in the 1960’s before the property was built. The brook runs past the back of the garden but I believe there are flood defences there now. Didn’t think this was something to worry about but are you saying this could be a worry considering the house is built on clay? Although no flooding there since the sixties...! Many thanks
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The brook makes no difference to the subsidence risk if it’s at the end of the garden.

It is simply the geology in your area and it doesn’t even take into account the foundations of your house. Modern foundations are designed to find solid ground and prevent significant movement.

You have a much better chance of having good foundations in a 1970s house than an 1870s house which would have, well, none essentially - and that is the period most London houses were built. And most of those are still standing.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • fatboyslick
    Options
    Hello

Im in a similar situation except the Groundsure report has stated:

The property or an area within 25m has been assessed to have
    a Moderate-High potential for natural ground subsidence.

We're first time buyers so not sure whether this shows up on most reports. The house is only 10-15 years old and has our full building survey said there is no sign of movement on the house.

What are people's opinions on this - we need to move quick so if have to get further investigations we may have to pull out of the house

thanks
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Similar question = similar answers.
  • fatboyslick
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Similar question = similar answers.

I guess im flagging more about the fact mine says it is within 25 metres. This would cover my garden and a couple of other houses, possibly the edge of a play field and golf course.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    I guess im flagging more about the fact mine says it is within 25 metres. This would cover my garden and a couple of other houses, possibly the edge of a play field and golf course.
    All these searches are at a very low resolution. They're just telling you about the known general nature of the ground conditions in the neighbourhood.
  • fatboyslick
    Options
    thanks. ive paid for a more in-depth report. says no insurance claims and there is a moderate risk but low chance of anything happening. Just to be aware that if we build on the house then we'd need full professional surveys and foundations
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Options

And I'm flagging the fact that this doesn't really make a difference to the above advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure