PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Permitted occupant and bad credit - Help

Options
Hi all,
I need a little advice on where I stand and there seems to be similar situations but not enough info to help me know what to do and I'm getting such mixed info from estate agents it's confusing and frustrating.

I'm looking to move out soon, I've worked out my maximum budget is £680 per month based on my salary and so I'm only looking at properties up to that amount. I want my partner to move with me but he has very bad credit and a bit of debt, he will fail the credit checks and we do not have a guarantor. We have heard of something called a permitted occupier but only one agency I have contacted so far has mentioned this and all the rest have insisted that he must be named on the tenancy.

Now my questions are this: Can I refuse to put him on the tenancy and a joint applicant and insist on the permitted occupier?
and
Would it be best if I just looked for a tenancy alone and then looked into him moving in later on?

I am happy to be fully responsible for the rent and outgoings, I am in permanent full time employment and we're not looking at properties that make me unable to pay the rent. I just need to know a little more about this if anyone is able to help, I don't want an estate agent taking advantage just because I'm a first time renter.

Many thanks :j

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    All letting agencies can check are your public credit files. All public credit files show are CCJ and insolvency.
  • Andtheivy
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    All letting agencies can check are your public credit files. All public credit files show are CCJ and insolvency.

I know that, it's more or less the same as what we can see on our credit files, this is how I know he will fail the credit check for being a joint tenant and will lead onto him needing a guarantor which we do not have. (he has bad debt, no CCJ or bankruptcy but the debt alone will fail him)

So why bother with all that if it's less trouble just including him a permitted occupier? This is what I need to know, if I'm within my rights to say no to a joint tenancy and request the permitted occupant instead.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    :wall:

If all letting agents can see are the public credit files and all public credit files show are CCJ and insolvency, and your partner isn’t insolvent and doesn’t have any CCJ how have you come to the conclusion that he will fail a credit check?
  • Andtheivy
    Options
    Because every estate agent has said he will once he explained his situation, and that he will need a guarantor. (I'm not about to disclose what debts he has and the situations surrounding them)
    Does this mean they are not telling the truth and he will in fact pass the credit check just because he has no CCJ's and insolvency.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 November 2017 at 10:13PM
    Options
    Andtheivy wrote: »
    Does this mean they are not telling the truth and he will in fact pass the credit check just because he has no CCJ's and insolvency.

Yes. He shouldn't be telling the LA anything about his bad credit.

Because agents don't provide any financial credit services then they don't get to see your full credit report.
  • Andtheivy
    Options
    Slithery wrote: »
    Yes. He shouldn't be telling the LA anything about his bad credit.

No wonder we've been finding it so difficult. We/he has been trying to be as transparent as possible to ensure we don't make mistakes, don't get our hopes up and spend out money on fees and checks which we've been told will fail and get bitten if we don't disclose anything- bah
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    On a related note some agencies will try to see your full credit report by asking you to print it off and show it to them.

I refuse to deal with such agencies.
  • elliemet23
    Options
    When myself and my partner rented together I had about £4k debt, but no CCJs or Bankruptcy.
    The debt wasn't even an issue and we didn't need a guarantor.

Good luck
    xxxx
    27th October - £1008.86 owed
    24th November - £987.02 owed
    Bloody interest :mad::eek:
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Andtheivy wrote: »
    Because every estate agent has said he will once he explained his situation, and that he will need a guarantor. (I'm not about to disclose what debts he has and the situations surrounding them)

SO DONT TELL THEM....

Infact don't move out, you aren't ready.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure