🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Xmas issue

Options
In our dept where there are 5 of us, Two of us have booked xmas off which we did in the early part of the year, two others have booked it also yet alot later even thou the powers that be knew we booked ours early etc this leaves just one in our dept. Last week a meeting was called and were told that we would have to work at least one day if not more of the three days as they needed to get work out and were told that the management want their bonus !!!!!!!
However of the two that booked it alot later rumours are that they are point blank refusing to work anyday of the three althou this isnt confirmed.
When it was raised that we had booked it at start of year and why did they let more book it after which in all fairness we dont see why we should have to work it because its all down to mis management.
Then they got very nasty and threatened all sorts basically throwing the toys out the pram. If its booked off and signed off by the management i cant see they can then threaten all sorts if we dont give in. If the one whose rumoured to point blank refuse to work any then this will strike the rest of us as unfair.

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Did you have a question?

At this point management are free to cancel annual leave that is a month away.

Anyone that fails to comply should expect a disciplinary upon their return.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Muscle750 wrote: »
    In our dept where there are 5 of us, Two of us have booked xmas off which we did in the early part of the year, two others have booked it also yet alot later even thou the powers that be knew we booked ours early etc this leaves just one in our dept. Last week a meeting was called and were told that we would have to work at least one day if not more of the three days as they needed to get work out and were told that the management want their bonus !!!!!!!
    However of the two that booked it alot later rumours are that they are point blank refusing to work anyday of the three althou this isnt confirmed.
    When it was raised that we had booked it at start of year and why did they let more book it after which in all fairness we dont see why we should have to work it because its all down to mis management.
    Then they got very nasty and threatened all sorts basically throwing the toys out the pram. If its booked off and signed off by the management i cant see they can then threaten all sorts if we dont give in. If the one whose rumoured to point blank refuse to work any then this will strike the rest of us as unfair.
    Fair is something that happens in a playground. It's legal for the employer to cancel everybody's holidays - they have more than enough time to do that. So you either sort it out amongst you, or you probably all end up working for Christmas. And yes, they can threaten "all sorts". They can probably do a lot of the "all sorts" too. And equally, yes - your can all refuse to budge. Don't look forward to a wage in January though... or, in fact, any of next year until you get another job.

And if you still have jobs next Christmas, maybe think about a fairer system than first past the post? Everyone wants Christmas. All you are doing here is making sure nobody gets it.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    And if you still have jobs next Christmas, maybe think about a fairer system than first past the post? Everyone wants Christmas. All you are doing here is making sure nobody gets it.

Aye, I like your post.

I also like management's proposal for everyone to work one of the three days in question. Seems like a very fair way of doing things*

*Normally I'm all for the "first come first served" rule, but Christmas is slightly different in that MOST/ALL people will want it off... I don't like the idea of penalising people here just because they weren't first past the post!

I couldn't stand working in OP's department though! Everyone out to get each other, no team work and pulling together. No respect for other people's desires to see their friends and family over Christmas. I wouldn't mind if it was a huge team, but doing that sort of stuff in a team of 5 people?? Nahh....

I hope karma bites you in the bum OP and the other 3 members of the team put in a 2018 Christmas holiday request at 8am on the very first working day of January :D If they have any sense they would!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have seen you post so many times to complain about your employer i think you need to have your own section in the "Praise, Vent & Warnings" category.

Why are you still working there as from what you say it seems to be an awful place to work and you definitely don't seem happy.

Edit: Just seen Red-Squirrel posts; it's even worse than i thought!
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    weve worked every previous xmas even thou it was the chosen few allowed to have it off, they will not let us carry any over into the new year or buy them off us so what exactly are we meant to do ...........Loose them?...................I dont think so. I dont personally like been refered to as a see you next tuesday either just because i want what holiday im entitled to and booked 11 months prior.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Muscle750 wrote: »
    weve worked every previous xmas even thou it was the chosen few allowed to have it off, they will not let us carry any over into the new year or buy them off us so what exactly are we meant to do ...........Loose them?...................I dont think so. I dont personally like been refered to as a see you next tuesday either just because i want what holiday im entitled to and booked 11 months prior.

So i will ask again, why are you still working there if this happens every year?. You can't really complain when they are breaking no laws and you have chosen to accept it by continuing to work there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport