Virgin Media - moved house and chaos since

Options
Hi everyone, hoping someone might be able to help or advise.

I started Virgin Media contract in December of 2016. In June 2017 I had to move house, and decided to take virgin with me. Though virgin wasnt installed in the new property, they assessed it and said they could install when I moved in. That was when the problems started.

It took two months to get Virgin installed and working, all the while I was still paying for a service that wasn't there, then I got a bill for £120 (still a mystery figure why - the installation was free) and since my bills have doubled from £30 pm to £60 pm for tv and internet.

I have been on the phone to Virgin so many times I've lost count. Trying to work out why I'm suddenly paying double for a service that originally supposed to be 30pm for a year, and why my contract has changed from Dec-Dec to starting in July of this year? I have never signed another contract with them since I moved. I have not had any communication from them detailing this.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. I've made repeated phone calls to sort this out to no avail :mad:

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Moving may have started a new contract .
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 November 2017 at 12:53PM
    Options
    £30 for TV and Internet seems cheap for VM, were you on some sort of introductory 'deal' at your old address, and if you were did you check that the terms of the deal would continue at the new address, albeit with a new minimum term ?
    As already stated , moving starts a new contract minimum term ( and to be fair, if you used another company at the new address, the deal with them would have been 'new' so subject to a minimum term as well , so no real disadvantage there)

You may have been given a new deal but at list price ( perhaps £60 is list price for the services you are getting) , and it may have been better paying off the 6 months early termination charges at the old address and getting a 'new' customer deal (with VM or someone else) at the new address....from VM perspective, they probably think waiving the ETC at the old address was the inducement to keep you as a customer and saw no need to give you a double discount by knocking some money off at the new address as well .
    Cannot help you with the £120 one off charge, perhaps it is the installation charge even though they said it would be free , a couple of years ago , I got VM broadband , supposedly with 'free' installation, but first bill had a £50 charge for installation , they did remove it though when challenged , but I was a 'new' customer
  • benfilan
    benfilan Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Hey, thanks for your reply.

Agree with everything you're saying. The thing that's sticking for me is that I discussed this at length with Virgin before I moved because it wasn't clear for a long time if they would be able to install in the new place. I asked specifically if the price would change, they said no, I asked would the contract or terms change by taking it to my new address, I double, triple checked and was assured things would stay the same and I'd be under the same terms as before.

Since moving I've just been stuck in this cycle of different advisors telling me there's been an admin mistake/they have no record of me at the previous address etc/they'll investigate and come back to me. They never do.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Customers of similar company's have a little success with problems like yours, by going straight to the top of the organisation and getting the chairmans office or some sort of executive level complaints involved, you could try searching for VM's CEO or Chairman level complaints and sending an email outlining the problem and asking for them to basically provide what they offered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure