'black friday' - too soon?

Options
Feeling a bit put out, as not paid til end of the month..
breathe in, breathe out- You're alive! Everything else is a bonus, right? RIGHT??

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's the same day every year, so prior planning is needed!
  • NineDeuce
    Options
    We all lived without it prior to 3 years ago. I am sure we can all cope...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have "saved" even MORE money than those who did get something. Most of the time it's old junk they've hyped up that they're shifting.

You have lost nothing .... you have SAVED yourself from a rash purchase that you didn't need.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    I got all my Christmas shopping done this morning!

I track prices so know I'm getting the best price I can (and if the price does fall again, I'll get the difference refunded), don't like the word bargain as it implies tat and I don't buy tat. Don't understand people that make Christmas shopping into such a big deal, a bit of organisation and it's as simple as could be.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    I got two good deals, total £21.00. Think I can afford that.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Black Friday is always the same day in so much as it's the Friday after Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is always the fourth Thursday of November.

For some reason the UK has taken to Black Friday, Thanksgiving and Hallowe'en like never before. Don't get me started on Cyber Monday.

What I dislike is that the UK started these Black Friday sales a week ago. It's akin to the DFS sale.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 November 2017 at 5:38PM
    Options
    I have saved £40 on a console I was planning to buy for my older son as a Xmas present.., and at least £5 on four games (each). They weren't previously offered at this price and never have been.

So I'm pretty pleased that Black Friday exists. Doesn't matter what the sale is called, or how long its on for (the console price is only on for today).., I saved money I wouldn't have done otherwise. Haven't bought anything that wasn't on my list. Its a choice thing which means its down to the buyer, not the retailer. Whether its tat or not is down to the purveyor.

I do agree however that for many people it would be easier if the event was held after the end of the month. I guess the shops are grouping people who buy presents with their last pay packet before Xmas in a different group and price their goods accordingly (desperate will pay more) lol.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I've ordered a Fire TV stick ... for £25 (for the voice remote version) it would be rude not to - the non-voice remote version was £25 in the Black Friday sale last year. :)
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    skintpaul wrote: »
    Feeling a bit put out, as not paid til end of the month..

I would guess the majority (not all) of people who are paid monthly are paid at the end of the month
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thats the problem with not having a safety net. Where you run out of money the day before payday. If anything happens to delay that then it maybe trouble.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure