🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

TV in bedroom but no aerial???

Options
2»

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,464 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    You can get a Now TV box for £12.50 with 500 Tesco Clubcard points, so effectively £7.50

Apps like BBC iPlayer and Itv hub let you stream live TV.

And the Now TV box comes with a month of Sky Cinema. If you don't need the voucher, you could give it away or sell it.

You need an Hdmi socket on the TV and a power supply for the Now TV box
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    Modern smart TVs usually include WiFi, terrestrial and satellite tuners. There are apps for free TV via the WiFi, such as BBC iPlayer, ITV hub, YouTube, etc. You can pause live TV, do basic recording to a USB memory stick, etc.

I personally would look at getting an aerial to the bedroom TV, rather than messing around with the vagaries of apps, the BBC iPlayer is particularly naff on our new Samsung- you can’t download a program so if there’s a glitch in the internet it freezes. The YouTube app seems to “just work”...
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    You can get a Now TV box for £12.50 with 500 Tesco Clubcard points, so effectively £7.50

Apps like BBC iPlayer and Itv hub let you stream live TV.

And the Now TV box comes with a month of Sky Cinema. If you don't need the voucher, you could give it away or sell it.

You need an Hdmi socket on the TV and a power supply for the Now TV box

I use a Now TV box in the way described and it works very well.

You should be able to get a new box cheap on ebay or gumtree because people buy the box and cards together at a discount from places like Argos simply to get the card cheap (like I do).
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    I haven't got an aerial point in my bedroom it wasn't a problem before everything went digital as I could use a set top aerial but they don't work with digital in my area :mad:

I now use a now TV box which works well. I can watch bbc and itv channels live and the others on catch up which is good enough for me.

When I replaced my upstairs TV I found it cheaper to buy a non smart one and just keep the box.
  • letiss7
    letiss7 Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought an AV repeater from Maplins. It is very easy to setup and there are no ongoing costs after the initial purchase.
    You can only watch the same Sky channel that is on downstairs but for us that is not a problem.
    In our previous house the reception from front room to bedroom was a bit ropey but no such problems in our current place.
    No. 5 in the 'Save 12k for 2021' thread.
    £4250/£12000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family