TV in bedroom but no aerial???

Options
Hi

I am looking to get TV in my bedroom. At the moment I just used and ipad to watch in bed.

We have Sky+ downstairs but have no aerial upstairs. What is the best way of getting TV working upstairs? Does a modern SMART TV still need aerials

Sorry if its a daft question - I am still using my old 10 year Sony flatscreen that was the rage back in the day !!

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    aj9648 wrote: »
    Hi

I am looking to get TV in my bedroom. At the moment I just used and ipad to watch in bed.

We have Sky+ downstairs but have no aerial upstairs. What is the best way of getting TV working upstairs? Does a modern SMART TV still need aerials

Sorry if its a daft question - I am still using my old 10 year Sony flatscreen that was the rage back in the day !!

To get all freeview channels you would need an aerial, however you can use apps on the tv, I player etc to watch tv
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could try using a Now TV box in conjunction with your Sky account to get access to some live content, whats your Broadband speed like?
  • aj9648
    aj9648 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    You could try using a Now TV box in conjunction with your Sky account to get access to some live content, whats your Broadband speed like?

BB speed is fine. Never had an issue
  • aj9648
    aj9648 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BB speed is fine. Never had an issue

How do I link a Now TV box and my sky box?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 November 2017 at 10:04PM
    Options
    How do I link a Now TV box and my sky box?

Now tv uses internet connection, might even have wifi but you can use ethernet from now tv to powerline plug then use other powerline with ethernet to router downstairs.

As for a Sky box, you would need to ask Sky about a second box.

All depends on what you want to watch on the second tv.

Depending on the t you get you might find theres a Now TV app you can install which would negate the need for a box.
  • mchale
    mchale Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Options
    A Firestick with kodi, mobdro or firedl on it
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 November 2017 at 11:52PM
    Options
    Hi

It depends on what you want to watch and what you are prepared to pay (both for initial outlay and ongoing fees).

The high cost of Sky Multiroom means that Now TV Entertainment pass is cheaper per month (and probably for installation, too). If you buy a Now TV bundle from Argos or Sainsburys in the next day or two, you can get a box and 4 months subscription to Entertainment for £19. The box has Wifi, and just plugs into an HDMI socket on the TV. You also get access to catch-up with BBC, ITV, C4, C5 and Youtube videos.

Even if you only wanted BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 in the long term, a Now TV box is probably the cheapest way to get started, as long as the TV has an HDMI socket.

Other options are available like Chromecast, Amazon Firestick, Roku, etc. You don't need to upgrade your TV in order to get TV over the Internet.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Hi

Generally yes for freeview channels or a feed from the satellite dish for freesat. But you say you have an old Sony , how do you currently watch TV on that in the bedroom or is it the one you normally watch downstairs?
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »

How does that work?

You can use the same login details for both but both are separate accounts.
  • fenlander_uk
    Options
    Of course, you could always get a set top aerial for a few pounds (provided you're in an area with a decent Freeview signal). It is still possible to watch TV without using the internet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure