We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: A 32-year-old sandwich toaster and a 1960s kettle...

Options
MoneySavers have revealed their oldest still-working household appliances after a story about an elderly couple getting rid of several appliances they bought over 50 years ago went viral...
Read the full story:
'A 32-year-old sandwich toaster and a 1960s kettle: MoneySavers reveal their oldest still-working appliances'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Waits for the first person to say "my husband/wife"... :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How about a 60 year old Kenwood hand-held mixer? It originally belonged to Mr LW's grandmother, and is now in regular use in our kitchen. It still has it's original box, too, though this is a little battered, and has been repaired with stick tape more than once.
    My only "gripe" if I can call it that is that it has the power cord coming out of the "wrong" side for easy use by a left-hander like myself. :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    I know it's not strictly a household appliance, but I have a black & decker electric drill from the 1960's I think. The body is all metal and it has a yellow colour scheme, so before the orange colour now associated with that brand
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I've got a 31-year old clock radio that my parents gave me, as well as a 36-year old radio/cassette player. The 31-year old clock radio (a bedside alarm type) is in daily use and has been since the day I got it, it's been all over the country with me as I've moved from place to place.

My husband has an electric clock that dates back to the 40's or 50's, it came from grandparents. Still working!

Not exactly a household appliance in regular use (only annually) - my mother has a set of Christmas tree lights that date back to the 1940's, she said that her parents purchased them just after WWII. They are Disney "Fantasia" ones and they are still working.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We're still using the cooker we bought when we moved in here 34 years ago. LW's Kenwood beats that hands down though :T
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Someone elsewhere on social media has said using old appliances isn't MoneySaving as they use more energy.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Someone elsewhere on social media has said using old appliances isn't MoneySaving as they use more energy.

Maybe, but on the other hand, they probably work better. I still mourn the loss of my old Parkinson Cowan Prince gas cooker which I had to ditch when i updated my kitchen about ten years ago. It was nearly fifty years old and the flashy new Stoves oven and hob aren't a patch on it.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I guess it doesn't really count to still have in daily use cutlery given to my parents as a wedding present in 1945?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've got a 31-year old clock radio that my parents gave me, as well as a 36-year old radio/cassette player. The 31-year old clock radio (a bedside alarm type) is in daily use and has been since the day I got it, it's been all over the country with me as I've moved from place to place.

My husband has an electric clock that dates back to the 40's or 50's, it came from grandparents. Still working!

Not exactly a household appliance in regular use (only annually) - my mother has a set of Christmas tree lights that date back to the 1940's, she said that her parents purchased them just after WWII. They are Disney "Fantasia" ones and they are still working.

We have a clock/radio which is nearing 30 and some Christmas tree lights from the 1950s, still with the original box.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 30/6/24 £491.56, Chase Interest £37.40, Chase roundup interest £1.14, Chase CB £82.04, Roadkill £1.30, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints to 30/6/24 £70.22, Topcashback £82.04, Shopmium referral £3, Iceland bonus £2, Ipsos survey £20
    Total £840.70/£2024  41.5%

Make £2023 in 2023  Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Plus
    Plus Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I regularly service my mother's 32 year old kitchen appliances (dishwasher, oven, hob, washing machine, dryer) - since they're Miele you can still get spares! (they cost a fair bit, but cheaper than ripping the kitchen apart to replace)

The fridge, on the other hand, is 39 and hasn't needed anything doing to it for about the last 20 years...
    (and it isn't that terrible in terms of energy efficiency either)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure