Tax credit compliance check

Options
I received a compliance letter from HMRC. I am a single mother, I also live with my mother due to anxiety, and depression issues. They are saying my ex boyfriend (child’s father) is linked to this address. Around 6 years ago, he had no fixed address and asked to use my mums house, as he literally had no one else. After the same issue a couple of years ago, I told him to change all his information to his own fixed address. He assured me he did this. I call HMRC advising them he does t have a tenant agreement as he rents out a room at a friends house, so the house is not in his name, and he has his name on no utility bills. He has zero bills here, and never has. He had credit card statement/bank statement/another credit account statement/and his wage slips, all with his own address. The woman I spoke to at HMRC was awful, she told me none of this would be good enough and that they want a tenancy agreement, after I had told them the house is not in his name. What do I do? Should I tell him to get a lodgers agreement? Would they accept this? He doesn’t pay rent to the person, he just pays his own way, as this is an older man and he is on a state pension and rent would be an income to him. If he puts on a lodgers agreement that he takes rent, could this cause trouble for this man? My ex is unreliable, and a gambler. I had issues with my daughter and borrowed money from him also. Which is all on my bank statements that they are requesting. My daughter was ill. NHS waiting lists were roughly 9 months. So I paid privately (good thing I did as she had a pretty severe airway problem) for this I borrowed money from him, which was stupid but most of the time he called me the same day saying he wanted it back, so on my statements you can see it was sent back the same day to him. Going through my statements you can clearly see it was all given back. Will they try say I’m financially dependent on him even though it was all given back? Like literally every penny was given back. I kept nothing. I even borrowed money from my brother over the three month period they are asking about, as the costs of travelling to hospital/staying in the hospital/the bill for the private hospital that got her to the front of the queue with the NHS for her surgery. I’m going to CAB tomorrow. I just need some advice with this. Can I just not send my bank statements? As all they want is proof he doesn’t live here. Which they can have from several sources. Are they just being twisted in asking for a tenants agreement because they know that, and a utility bill are the only things we don’t have? Would anweitten declaration from the man he shares the house with work? Thanks

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you totally separated, ie. he never ever comes over to your house, or does he come and sometimes stay and the compliance could be a result of someone accusing you and him to still be together?

They will question why he doesn't pay any rent. Does he at least pay towards the bills, council tax etc... Does he pay maintenance?
  • Hollypop12345
    Options
    We are totally separated, have been for a very long time

He doesn’t pay maintenance, he’s a gambler, and an unreliable father as far as contact goes. He tells the kids he will take them somewhere and then doesn’t even show up. So I told him just to stop it as it was unfair to them.

He doesn’t pay rent as he is living in the spare room of a friend who lives off of a state pension. So if he took rent from my ex it would be classed as an income. Which may mess with his state pension. So my ex just pays his own way. They have gas/electric meters, which he will contribute to. He buys his own food/everything else he needs

I told my ex what’s going on, and he flat out told me he will quit his job if I come after him for maintenance.

I tried before and he vanished for two years.
    He can’t get his own place. Rvaise his credit score is abysmal, and last I knew he had around £4,000 debt.

When he loaned me money he demanded it back eithe same day or days later.

I cannot become reliant upon him, it would leave me and my kids in a very bad situation.

The woman from HMRC said they have a strong case, which I know is lies because they’ve said it before and it was total garbage when I called them on it

I can see this woman stopping my payments and she sounds like a person with an agenda and a bad attitude. I will take it to a tribunal as I have nothing to hide, but I can’t afford to have no money until then.

He has no financial ties to me, and never has. He has one bank account he forgot to change the address of, he assures me he will fix this on Saturday when he has the time

What else Can I do?
  • Hollypop12345
    Options
    Anyone? I just need some advice
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not clear what would have triggered this compliance check from what you've written.

In the end, they will have to gather evidence, if there are none, there is no strong case.

You just have to wait to see what they've got to make them think he is linked to your address. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Have you actually submitted your evidence to them yet?
  • Hollypop12345
    Options
    No, not yet. I’m waiting on my ex getting his documents together. I had the CAB call them today. The person they spoke to said “their entire department thinks we live together” yet they never say what this “evidence” is. He checked all his information. He has one bank account registered here, in his name alone, which he forgot to change last time this happened.

He has never paid a bill here - ever.

This is my mother’s house. I give money to her to pay bills - basically all of it minus what I keep for the kids.

They won’t tell me what I have to do to prove myself. The woman dealing with my case is just being condescending and rude!

This is stressing me out so much I’m breaking out in hives, if they take my money I’m going to be in a really bad situation, and even if I can convince my ex to claim with me - the CAB said as we aren’t really a couple this is also fraud! I can’t win 😭😭😭
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't believe for a minute that they would tell the CAB advisor that everyone in the department thinks you live together. If this is the case then you should request a transcript of the call and complain.
  • Hollypop12345
    Options
    I was sitting there - they did. I will definitely be complaining if that’s the case, and ask for a transcript. I feel like my case is being handled badly

I honestly feel lost. I fee like they’re just out to get people
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,043 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No, not yet. I’m waiting on my ex getting his documents together. I had the CAB call them today. The person they spoke to said “their entire department thinks we live together” yet they never say what this “evidence” is. He checked all his information. He has one bank account registered here, in his name alone, which he forgot to change last time this happened.

He has never paid a bill here - ever.

This is my mother’s house. I give money to her to pay bills - basically all of it minus what I keep for the kids.

They won’t tell me what I have to do to prove myself. The woman dealing with my case is just being condescending and rude!

This is stressing me out so much I’m breaking out in hives, if they take my money I’m going to be in a really bad situation, and even if I can convince my ex to claim with me - the CAB said as we aren’t really a couple this is also fraud! I can’t win 😭😭😭
    Sorry but i find that extremely hard to believe.....
  • Hollypop12345
    Options
    Why would the CAB agent lie? I didn’t hear it personally, but that’s what she said when she got off the phone. I’ll request the transcript and see what it says.

Personally I found that comment ridiculous. As if an entire department cares what I do lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure