Neighbours' dog

Options

Comments

• tiz
    tiz Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    You can try the RSPCA. Since the Animal Welfare Act there is more than just an obligation to provide food/water/shelter. Also to ensure a suitable environment, protection from suffering, and the ability to exhibit normal behaviour patterns, for example.

Whether they'll be able to do anything will depend on the exact circumstances and what they find in the shed/house/what the neighbours tell them.

Most likely they'll at least discuss the issues with the neighbour which may make them consider whether they want to keep the dog/need to make changes.

Worth a call at least, as realistically there aren't many other options.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    krlyr wrote: »
    RSPCA might act on the five freedoms -
    1. Freedom from hunger and thirst: by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
    2. Freedom from discomfort: by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
    3. Freedom from pain, injury or disease: by prevention through rapid diagnosis and treatment.
    4. Freedom to express normal behaviour: by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
    5. Freedom from fear and distress: by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.

Number 4. I’m failing my cat, he has no cat company. He likes it that way, he hates other cats.
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    Number 4. I’m failing my cat, he has no cat company. He likes it that way, he hates other cats.

If your cat is anything like my Eric (see photo), he won't consider himself a mere cat, he thinks he's the head of the household. On occasions where he needs to be "tough", he assumed his tiger persona. Never just a cat. :rotfl::rotfl::cool:
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tiz wrote: »
    You can try the RSPCA. Since the Animal Welfare Act there is more than just an obligation to provide food/water/shelter. Also to ensure a suitable environment, protection from suffering, and the ability to exhibit normal behaviour patterns, for example.

Whether they'll be able to do anything will depend on the exact circumstances and what they find in the shed/house/what the neighbours tell them.

Most likely they'll at least discuss the issues with the neighbour which may make them consider whether they want to keep the dog/need to make changes.

Worth a call at least, as realistically there aren't many other options.

She has rung them,twice,didn't seem concerned.I thought they were duty bound to check every complant

However,as its only their frontline staff,and not the inspectors themselves,I am wondering whether a call at a different time,or from another neighbour might work.Maybe exaggerate this poor dogs condition and anguish.We have a local RSPCA charity shop,if there is one nearby they might know of another way to get in touch with their local inspector.
  • Froglet
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    Do you think if you offered to buy him from them, they may let you have him. They've no interest in the dog, the novelty has obviously worn off. Frankly I'd send you a donation if they would.

So would I.I cannot begin to wonder why they got the dog in the first place only to treat it with such disdain.But it is probably a possession,and i'll bet he can't be bought.Yet it would save this hard hearted woman the cost of dog food and the effort to bring it in and out all the time.What an example to her children.
  • monkeychops
    Options
    Ok so not sure what is happening but this is the latest.

Me and OH have been away from our house since 3rd Jan because of family illness. Before we left I printed out some pages I found on google, mainly on the PETA website, about why dogs, especially some breeds, should not be kept outside. Also so general info on what a dog needs to be happy and healthy i.e. exercise, playing etc.

We posted it on our way to family. I was hoping that by posting it over 20 miles away they wouldn't immediately think it was from us!

Anyway yesterday OH went home. Got back about 9am and although the woman appeared to be there (her car was there) no sight or sound of the dog. No sign all day.

Today OH says the woman is definitely there as he has heard her and seen her once in the garden. No sign again of dog.

So this must mean that either he is indoors or she has got rid of him. We never seem to hear him when he is indoors so hard to know if he is there or not. If he is I think it is likely he is crated which while still not very fair on him is better than being outside in the cold.

I should be going back next weekend so will try and keep a lookout. Obviously if he is indoors he still has to go in the garden to pee and poo and he tends to bark at anything and everything when outside so should know pretty quickly.

I am hoping really that she has found a new home for him or given him to rescue but at least he is not outside.

Will let you all know as soon as I find anything out.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ok so not sure what is happening but this is the latest.

Me and OH have been away from our house since 3rd Jan because of family illness. Before we left I printed out some pages I found on google, mainly on the PETA website, about why dogs, especially some breeds, should not be kept outside. Also so general info on what a dog needs to be happy and healthy i.e. exercise, playing etc.

We posted it on our way to family. I was hoping that by posting it over 20 miles away they wouldn't immediately think it was from us!

Anyway yesterday OH went home. Got back about 9am and although the woman appeared to be there (her car was there) no sight or sound of the dog. No sign all day.

Today OH says the woman is definitely there as he has heard her and seen her once in the garden. No sign again of dog.

So this must mean that either he is indoors or she has got rid of him. We never seem to hear him when he is indoors so hard to know if he is there or not. If he is I think it is likely he is crated which while still not very fair on him is better than being outside in the cold.

I should be going back next weekend so will try and keep a lookout. Obviously if he is indoors he still has to go in the garden to pee and poo and he tends to bark at anything and everything when outside so should know pretty quickly.

I am hoping really that she has found a new home for him or given him to rescue but at least he is not outside.

Will let you all know as soon as I find anything out.

!!!!!! .... You couldnt leave it could you. ?? ...

The dog could be sitting in his crate 24hrs day, could of been dumped at the roadside or could of been drowned for all you know.... it is beyond words of your irresponsibility in how you have dealt with this :mad::mad:
  • Shazzablue65
    Options
    What a horrid nasty reply...this dog had no quality of life...i hope he has been given to a shelter...on your other point drowning a dog is a criminal offence and if you think the owners are capable of this they should never be near a pet..its people turning a blind eye who are the problem....nasty
  • monkeychops
    monkeychops Posts: 172 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2018 at 4:51PM
    Options
    svain wrote: »
    !!!!!! .... You couldnt leave it could you. ?? ...

The dog could be sitting in his crate 24hrs day, could of been dumped at the roadside or could of been drowned for all you know.... it is beyond words of your irresponsibility in how you have dealt with this :mad::mad:

Being in a crate 24 hours is a crap life but at least he is in the warm. Being outside is just as !!!! but with the possibility that the cold could have killed him.

If he is not there any more, and I don't know that he isn't for sure, there is no reason to think the owner has not been responsible and taken him to a rescue, back to his breeder or found him a home.

Also, as I said in my post if you had bothered to read it properly, I don't know how long they have had the dog. It could be they have had been several years and don't shove him in the garden in the winter.

Why assume he was dumped at the side of the road other than to have a go at me? Even if he had been maybe someone nice found him? I have rescued a cat that I found dumped on a motorway and kept him.

I don't think I have been irresponsible. How was I supposed to deal with it in your opinion? You are just about the only poster who seemed to think the way the dog was being treated was ok and that I was just being a busy body. Doesn't say much for you or your attitude to animals to be honest.
  • Froglet
    Options
    Monkeychops,take no notice and don't let that post upset you.What has upset us all ,well,nearly ,is that poor little miserable,lonely dogs existence.You have been the only one who could do something when no one in any power,would.I think you are a lovely kind person.I have been checking here for days hoping he would be in a better place,and out of that situation.
    If he barks you will surely hear him so no bark is good news.

Sorry to hear about your family troubles.I hope things improve for you soon.

We need more people in this world like you who don't stand by and do nothing.

THANK YOU.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport