Can a complete beginner make this? (sewing)

I own a sewing machine but never used it :o

Needs must now as I can't find anything suitable to buy.

Do you think it is possible for someone who has never used a machine to make this? http://www.sewmamasew.com/2014/08/drawstring-sleeping-bag-case/

I am going to use standard fabric and wont be bothering with the pocket at the front. The sewing round the circle looks hard :(

Would appreciate some feedback on how easy/possible the project is before I go out and waste money on fabric.

Thanks

Comments

• The bag itself doesn`t look too complicated, making a smallish item, (and not needing much fabric to buy) like this is a good place to start, especially as the instructions look ok.
    But you say you`ve never used the sewing machine? I`d say start off by using some scrap fabric to have a practise with the machine first, get to know it a bit. Then do a dummy run with scrap fabric perhaps? If you haven`t anything in your house you can call scrap then a cheap curtain from a charity shop might be the answer.... good luck with it, you have to start somewhere.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks

When I say I have never used it, I have never made anything. I have turned it on and tried to sew straight lines but that is much harder than it looks so I gave up :o

I am hoping that now being in this situation. I either make something for my son he can use easily or he struggles, its going to kick start me into doing this and going onto to make other things as well.

I will try again with the scrap material first.
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It shouldn’t be Too hard.

I second the practice on some cheap scrap fabric. Or an old shirt etc. To get the thread tension correct etc.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry to be a party pooper but I wouldn't start with this.
    Why?
    because you have to ease the body of the bag onto the circular base. It's not hard but if you have never made anything before better to start with , say, a cushion cover which is all straight seams. I'm thinking of the kind which has a tuck in like a pillow case- certainly not a zip!!! or make a sack for Santa?

Is there no-one you know who has a machine and can give a little bit of help? Even if they don't own the same model as you an experienced sewer (sew-er!! not the other thing!!) will be able to help.

Practice, practice.practice. Use material that doesn't matter.

I had my first machine for my 21st... and I'm still sewing. Couldn't manage without it (actually I have 2!)

It's a great tool for making practical and fancy items. Have fun

I wonder if you have a sewing / machine shop near you. Some run classes for beginners.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 November 2017 at 12:44PM
    Sorry to be a party pooper but I wouldn't start with this.
    Why?
    because you have to ease the body of the bag onto the circular base. It's not hard but if you have never made anything before better to start with , say, a cushion cover which is all straight seams. I'm thinking of the kind which has a tuck in like a pillow case- certainly not a zip!!! or make a sack for Santa?

Is there no-one you know who has a machine and can give a little bit of help? Even if they don't own the same model as you an experienced sewer (sew-er!! not the other thing!!) will be able to help.

Practice, practice.practice. Use material that doesn't matter.

I had my first machine for my 21st... and I'm still sewing. Couldn't manage without it (actually I have 2!)

It's a great tool for making practical and fancy items.

I wonder if you have a sewing /craft/ machine shop near you. Some run classes for beginners, the thing is it is so much easier to watch someone than it is to read instructions from a book. I bet YouTube has some good advice.

Have fun

oops see it has posted twice- not quite the same! was having problems with internet, lost the post but seesm it posted itself!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    It doesn't look too difficult, non fraying fabric is easier to work with, but....if it's a bag to store a sleeping bag, which is presumably going to be put in a cupboard, why go to the expense of buying fancy fabric? And why does it need to be washable? A pillow case would do the job.

A simpler project would be to make cloth shopping bags, straight forward, everyone needs them, second hand fabric ideal for it, curtains. Google Morsbags full instructions.
    http://www.morsbags.com/

Knock a few of these out and you when you are more confident you can progress onto curved seams.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • If you do a search for sleeping bag stuff sack, lots of items come up for purchase. Obviously you may be after something a bit more individual but it might just save you from a sewing job you're not confident with :)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sleeping+bag+stuff+sack&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=kSkTWsrFGIistgfV9pqoDA

M x
  • iammumtoone
    edited 20 November 2017 at 8:57PM
    Katiehound - thanks I did think the circle bottom bit looked a bit tricky. Maybe I could try a hexagonal shape or something it doesn't have to be perfect.

Ilona - its not for storage, the sleeping bag came with its own case but its really difficult to get in, even I struggle to do it. My son is going on an overnight trip and is expected to put his own sleeping bag away so trying to make things as easy as possible for him.

mtbbuxton - I did look for things to buy but all I could find were compression bags which is what we already have. It has to be packed away fairly neatly as he is expected to carry it himself as well as all the other luggage/bags.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    The bag will be used to carry the sleeping bag to camp and back again so could get muddy etc. A waterproof fabric can be wiped clean. A non washable fabric would need washed and dried.
  • iammumtoone
    sheramber wrote: »
    The bag will be used to carry the sleeping bag to camp and back again so could get muddy etc. A waterproof fabric can be wiped clean. A non washable fabric would need washed and dried.

Yes I realise that but I don't want to make things harder by trying to sew thick waterproof fabric, plus thats too expensive if I mess up.

I am not worried if my creation only survives the one trip, if it survives the whole trip I would be pleased with that :D I will be packing the original bag in his luggage just in case :o

I will only buy cheap fabric possibly something with squares on to make it easier to keep the lines/cuts straight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure