ESA and Prescription charges

Options
I'm in a desperate place and could really use some help.

I am on an ESA benefit and also receive PIP.

My CPN told me that as I was a recipient of ESA benefits I no longer needed to pay for my prescriptions. Up until that point I had a Pre-payment system.

I recently had a tooth out and on the form ticked the box for the ESA option. I also collected my monthly supply of medications again ticking the ESA option.

This week I have been sent two letters saying that I don't qualify. I have been asked to repay each of the claims PLUS £100 per "false claim". The total is just short of £300.

I'm told that "This is because your award letter shows you receive a contributions based benefit which does not automatically entitle you to free NHS prescriptions." and "If payment is not made by 10/12/2017 a surcharge will be added."

My CPN didn't check this or advise me to look. I didn't even know that there were 2 types of ESA

I can't pay this, I simply don't have the funds.

I'm also concerned that as I have been ticking the box for months on my prescription charges and for a pair of Glasses that if more checks are made I'll really be royally screwed.

I'm beside myself with worry.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

I'd appreciate any help

Comments

• tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately the onus is on you to check if you are entitled to free prescriptions etc.

I would ring them and discuss your options.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    How many times does this one come up? I do wish CPNs, doctors' receptionists etc would stop giving advice when they have no idea what benefits their patient receives. Yes it's down to the claimant to ensure they tick the right box, but they have taken the 'advice' of a 'professional' and are now suffering the consequences.
    I would suggest in this situation that the OP might stand some chance of getting the fine element overturned if the CPN would confirm in writing that they told the OP they wouldn't have to pay for prescriptions.
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OP - my advice is not to believe others who have no knowledge about issues like prescriptions, etc. I always suggest this forum is excellent for advice.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Options
    Put up a soa and we will try to help you budget so you can pay in installmenrs
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I really do think NHSBSA should send a memo out telling people not to give out advice about exemptions. There are so many threads on here about it.

I agree with others, OP - try and get the CPN to confirm that they gave the wrong information. Hopefully they won't go telling other people wrong information.

As an aside, have you made sure you're getting the right ESA and that you're not entitled to income based? Are you getting all other benefits you're entitled to? If you're not sure there are benefits checkers at turn2us and entitledto.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm in a desperate place and could really use some help.

I am on an ESA benefit and also receive PIP.

My CPN told me that as I was a recipient of ESA benefits I no longer needed to pay for my prescriptions. Up until that point I had a Pre-payment system.

I recently had a tooth out and on the form ticked the box for the ESA option. I also collected my monthly supply of medications again ticking the ESA option.

This week I have been sent two letters saying that I don't qualify. I have been asked to repay each of the claims PLUS £100 per "false claim". The total is just short of £300.

I'm told that "This is because your award letter shows you receive a contributions based benefit which does not automatically entitle you to free NHS prescriptions." and "If payment is not made by 10/12/2017 a surcharge will be added."

My CPN didn't check this or advise me to look. I didn't even know that there were 2 types of ESA

I can't pay this, I simply don't have the funds.

I'm also concerned that as I have been ticking the box for months on my prescription charges and for a pair of Glasses that if more checks are made I'll really be royally screwed.

I'm beside myself with worry.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

I'd appreciate any help
    Do you live alone or with a partner that works? If not then you maybe entitled to an Income related top up on your ESA, this will allow you to recieve those prescriptions and dental treatments free.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Options
    Op also receives Dla
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Op also receives Dla
    No they don't, they recieve PIP. Totally different.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    No they don't, they recieve PIP. Totally different.

Different? Yes. Totally different? No. PIP has replaced DLA and has broadly similar, although stricter, qualifying criteria.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't listen to them in future in any other matters other than your health.
    You don't get any of the 'extras' on contribution based ESA. I've got confused looks in the dentists and opticians many times over it.

Have you told your CPN about this? Maybe she could write a letter of support given your health and that she did tell you this in error.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure