Trust Pilot and 24/7 HomeRescue

Since getting royally “ripped off” by 24/7 HomeRescue I have been taking a closer look at the reviews on Trust Pilot that led me to signing up with this outfit. For a start we might be quite suspicious about the relatively large number of brief but “glowing” five star reports that appear very regularly on Trust Pilot’s website endorsing 24/7 HomeRescue. It is evident that almost all of these five-star reviews relate only to the sign-up process for 24/7 HomeRescue’s service contracts. Could these reviews be solicited by the trader? And then this one appeared on Trust Pilot earlier today (13th November):- “Was asked to give this review in exchange for one month's free policy. No harm in that. Have only just signed up so not a lot to go on. The signing up process went smoothly hence the 4 stars.”
So there we have it! Not only are 24/7 HomeRescue soliciting positive reviews but, in effect, paying for them also! That particular reviewer saw no harm in accepting a bribe to leave a good review, so am I really alone in thinking that this practice is dishonest and unethical on a website that is pretending to be impartial in respect of the services and products being reviewed?
I have not taken the time to analyse the large number of reviews of 24/7 HomeRescue, but I strongly suspect that if we were to filter out all the brief reviews that relate only to the sign-up process we would have a far more accurate picture of the actual “service” provided by this company. And it would fall a long way short of the very misleading “7.9 out of 10” TrustScore that is currently displayed! :(

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sadly, you cannot trust TrustPilot

Far to many fake reviews on there. Google that ;)

Good luck!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/jan/26/fake-reviews-plague-consumer-websites

https://www.reviews.io/company-reviews/store/trustpilot

Do a search on this forum - not just this section - and read the adverse reports on Trustpilot.

It has been posted, that for an extra fee, firms can challenge poor reviews and posters have complained that their poor reviews on 247 have been removed on various grounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trustpilot
    Trustpilot.com (or Trustpilot) is a website founded in Denmark in 2007 which publishes reviews for online businesses. The site lists and promotes registered businesses for free but charges fees for additional promotion.[2][3] Trustpilot employs about 500 people and roughly 500,000 new reviews are posted each month.[4] The firm relies on its users, reviewed business, and software to report questionable reviews, which it can delete at its own discretion.[5][6][7][8]
    Independent investigations have revealed that review websites such as Trustpilot have fake reviews on an almost industrial scale.[5][6][7][8] There is controversy about the legitimacy of some of Trustpilot's and other consumer review websites' reviews and the way that it deals with complaints about them, although Trustpilot insists that it strives to only include genuine reviews.[5][7][8][18][19] The firm allows businesses to selectively display reviews about them, which may violate certain laws or regulations.

Trustpilot reserves the right to remove reviews for which they are not obliged to offer any explanation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure