Cycling and skidding into a car

Options
Really looking for some advice please.
My husband was cycling to work for his night shift and whilst on company property entering the car park he skidded on some grit and stones and was thrown over the handle bars into a oncoming car that was leaving the car park.
Thankfully he was not hurt and the driver asked was he ok,My husband was shaken up and they both decided to log the accident the following day (my husband does not personally know the driver of the vehicle but they both work in the same area of a large industrial site .
They were both on the same shift the following day and both made statements to security, My husband said the vehicle was going slow and the driver said he was stationary ...The driver said there are two dents and a crease to his vehicle that he has had a quote from someone local to him at a cost of 1500 pound if he goes through insurance or 500 if we pay him directly.
My husband had no bike insurance (he has now ) we are also not insured on the home insurance.
We don't know for sure if all the damage was caused by the collision with my husband as the bike did not touch the car just my husbands shoulder.
My husband hoped the company would cover the costs but so far
it does not look good.
The driver of the vehicle has been to see my husband in work today and has basically threatened him saying" if you don't pay my wife wants me to take your head off but I wont do that yet "and that we have until next week to decide, he said he would accept a payment plan of a 100 pound a month otherwise he is taking my husband to court.
My husband does not want to report the threat as he does not want to see anyone lose their job.
Morally we feel for the guy and feel maybe we should pay but feel we cannot just hand over 500 pound to someone on his say so ...
Any advice please ?

Comments

• rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    short2005 wrote: »
    we are also not insured on the home insurance.

Do you not have a personal liability section on your home insurance?
  • short2005
    Options
    No unfortunately not.
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    OP, do you have home insurance?

I've not heard of one without a Public liability section, unless you're only insured for FLEE (fire, lightning, earthquake and explosion)?

Personally, if you don't have insurance to cover it I'd let him go through his own insurer and offer to pay his excess. Nothing more.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you seriously expect your husbands company to pay for the damage?
  • short2005
    Options
    OP, do you have home insurance?

I've not heard of one without a Public liability section, unless you're only insured for FLEE (fire, lightning, earthquake and explosion)?

Personally, if you don't have insurance to cover it I'd let him go through his own insurer and offer to pay his excess. Nothing more.

I just doubled checked the home insurance its basic building and contents, I cannot see anything in the wording about liability.
    His excess is the 500 he wants us to pay.
    Thanks for replying.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    short2005 wrote: »
    I just doubled checked the home insurance its basic building and contents, I cannot see anything in the wording about liability.
    Do you have link to the wording. Unusual not to have liability cover.
  • short2005
    Options
    rs65 wrote: »
    Do you have link to the wording. Unusual not to have liability cover.

Sorry I don't know how to do a link :o I will get my husband to ring More Than tomorrow to double check. Thank you
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Surely the car driver would have to prove your husband was negligent to make him liable.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Skidding on grit is a risk with cycling and does not sound negligent.[/FONT]
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tom99 wrote: »
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Surely the car driver would have to prove your husband was negligent to make him liable.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Skidding on grit is a risk with cycling and does not sound negligent.[/FONT]

Cycling too fast for the conditions perhaps?
    When someone loses control in a vehicle, they're normally deemed to be driving / riding too quickly for the conditions / terrain.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    Cycling too fast for the conditions perhaps?
    When someone loses control in a vehicle, they're normally deemed to be driving / riding too quickly for the conditions / terrain.

As long as the conditions are visible or reasonably foreseeable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure