Parked in Hospital Disabled Bay

Options

Comments

• Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thankfully the OP has taken the advice given in the first reply to this thread, posted on the parking board and has hopefully ignored much of the nonsense posted subsequently on this thread.

I think there are a few posters who need to re-read the booklet that came with their Blue Badge and remind themselves what it says about Blue Badges and private parking (yes hospitals are considered private car parks).

They could then follow that up by reading up on the Equality Act 2010 and "reasonable adjustments" for disabled people.
  • lstiore
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Were these other people Blue badge holders or not ?

In response to your question Yes the couple were holder of a BB but simply forgot to take it with them and were penalized for not displaying it when it was visible they were wheelchair users (sticker on screen and CCTV?) with an adapted vehicle.. What i am trying to say is that there seem to be a culture in Hospital Parking to fine people without the use of basic common sense. An adapted vehicle marked with a disabled sticker of a wheelchair user should be good enough i thought.
  • lstiore
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    The question is, why are you so special? Everyone who has ever used a hospital car park struggles to get a space unless it is early morning or late night. Or you are incredibly lucky. The amount you are paying in fines, surely it would be cheaper to get a taxi? Even if you park nearby and get a taxi the rest of the way.

why are we special? well my assumption was based on the high level of disability from my mum and my friend of whom this is all about. They never applied for a BB but are on DLA and/or receive a form of home care.
  • winnac01
    Options
    This last year i had a brain Hemorrhage that caused a stroke that left me completely paralyzed down my entire left side and completely wheelchair bound whilst i was waiting for certain benefits and a blue badge award i still had to visit the hospital numerous times, and although it was a massive struggle NOT ONCE did we park in a disabled parking space as breaking the rules just encourages more people to do the same, now i have my blue badge it is a constant struggle to find an empty disabled parking space due inconsiderate people, there is no excuse for parking in a blue zone without a blue badge it is morally wrong.
  • RichardD1970
    Options
    winnac01 wrote: »
    This last year i had a brain Hemorrhage that caused a stroke that left me completely paralyzed down my entire left side and completely wheelchair bound whilst i was waiting for certain benefits and a blue badge award i still had to visit the hospital numerous times, and although it was a massive struggle NOT ONCE did we park in a disabled parking space as breaking the rules just encourages more people to do the same, now i have my blue badge it is a constant struggle to find an empty disabled parking space due inconsiderate people, there is no excuse for parking in a blue zone without a blue badge it is morally wrong.

I refer you to,
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Thankfully the OP has taken the advice given in the first reply to this thread, posted on the parking board and has hopefully ignored much of the nonsense posted subsequently on this thread.

I think there are a few posters who need to re-read the booklet that came with their Blue Badge and remind themselves what it says about Blue Badges and private parking (yes hospitals are considered private car parks).

They could then follow that up by reading up on the Equality Act 2010 and "reasonable adjustments" for disabled people.

The above mention Equality Act (which is LAW) trumps any rules regarding blue badges on private land.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I refer you to,

The above mention Equality Act (which is LAW) trumps any rules regarding blue badges on private land.

Yep, shame the poster wasn't better informed previously or they could have made use of the reasonable adjustment put in place for them.

This is also a very informative read on the subject.

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/disabled-bay-blue-badges/
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    lstiore wrote: »
    why are we special? well my assumption was based on the high level of disability from my mum and my friend of whom this is all about. They never applied for a BB but are on DLA and/or receive a form of home care.

If you visit Queens in Romford, I'm assuming you, or the people you drive for, are in the LB Havering. If so, you can apply for a Comcab card, which entitles you to a number of taxicab trips, at a very reduced rate. The cab is able to drop you off virtually at the entrance.

I believe you get about 30 trips a year, if you keep your Freedom Pass, and more if you relinquish your Freedom Pass. My neighbour pays £2.50 for a trip.

Queens is well served by numerous buses, and as I find the whole experience of parking there such a nightmare, no matter what time you arrive, I drive to a road where there are no parking restrictions, park there and get a bus the rest of the way.

I've lost count of the number of times I used to drive there, and still be stuck in an endless queue in Rom Valley Way, an hour later, with no hope of getting into the car park.

By the way, when I had Breast Cancer, and was attending daily for treatment, I was given a pass and allowed to park in the rear car park (where the A & E ambulance bays are situated), free of charge.

I believe this is standard with all hospitals - or is it?
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options

All very well. But how is the hospital supposed to know what disabilities your mum and friend suffer from? All they can see is a car parked in a disabled space that isn't displaying a blue badge. How are they supposed to tell the difference between you and a 100% chancer?

It's just common sense really.:)
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In response to your question Yes the couple were holder of a BB but simply forgot to take it with them and were penalized for not displaying it when it was visible they were wheelchair users (sticker on screen and CCTV?) with an adapted vehicle.. What i am trying to say is that there seem to be a culture in Hospital Parking to fine people without the use of basic common sense. An adapted vehicle marked with a disabled sticker of a wheelchair user should be good enough i thought.

Theres a wheelchair sticker in my car, I've never used a wheelchair in my life.

If you're incapable of dropping them off which is easy at QMC or they are incapable of applying for a blue badge, they can pay for hospital transport who will pick them up from outside their house and drop them off.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    By the way, when I had Breast Cancer, and was attending daily for treatment, I was given a pass and allowed to park in the rear car park (where the A & E ambulance bays are situated), free of charge.

I believe this is standard with all hospitals - or is it?

There are NHS car parking principles, but each trust has its own policy. So it might or might not be.

I know that my NHS trust gives free parking to blue badge holders. Given the number of hospital visits I end up with, and that parking is a minimum three quid a pop, paying a tenner for a blue badge is a really good investment.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure