PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Anything wrong with that house?

Options
124»

Comments

• oliniusz
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    I can only imagine the only reason there aren't more of them is that there's not much new land for building on in London.

They would rather split any available space here into shoe boxes and rent them as lovely studio flats for professionals located in an exclusive area
    Well it needs to be more, then. I know that in my sector plenty of people on about 60K in London apply to us thinking they can get 40K, and they are nowhere near close to being worth that, in this area. I know I could easily get double my current salary in London but I still wouldn't want to.

Kind of like catch 22 to me, all the IT sector and fintech startups want to operate in London as you have resources there and all the people need to work there as that is where you have the jobs located.

I go sometimes to Birmingham to visit my friends and you can feel it's a different England there.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have had a look at hose photos.

I would say there is a problem with the lintels over the downstairs door and window openings, and the brickwork above the openings is sagging.

I am not a surveyor, but I would expect a proper repair to be new lintels, the blockwork above re laid and the render re done. Many £thousands. A cheaper repair may be just to re point the blockwork and monitor the situation for further movement with no guarantee that it would do any good and might just defer a proper repair.

I would walk away. It would not surprise me to find this is an issue that would force a lender to put a retention on the mortgage. I think this is something the vendoe should fix.

If you still want to go ahead, get a builder to estimate for replacing the lintels nd re doing the blockwork and youe offer should be no more than market value (when repaired) less cost of repair.
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    With all the properties available in that part of London it puzzles me why you would be interested in a property which is a headache already
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • oliniusz
    Options
    I need to sit back and digest it all but I'm thankful for all the info from you guys.

I'm still looking for other houses too. If I filter for +1 bed semidetached or terraced house up to 350k to find a property in a close proximity to a tube / train station then the options are getting sparse.

Probably I will need to include maisonettes and flats to have a better choice but I'd like to exclude shared freeholds, noisy neighbours above/around a bedroom and no garden.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    Most people I know in London are seriously wondering how their kids will ever afford to stay there and ever buy, not just the kind of home that people in the rest of the UK might reasonably aspire to, but any kind of home at all.

Have they only just twigged (pardon the pun)? The OP house is massively over-priced IMO.
  • oliniusz
    Options
    Now I can see how overpriced mine is.. Compare to that one (under offer currently):
    htt[noparse]p://ww[/noparse]w.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48489393.html
    And once again the one I've been looking at:
    htt[noparse]p://ww[/noparse]w.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65683709.html

I have the feeling mine is not going to be sold as they bought it for 294k two years ago and invested much in it.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    What on Earth is 'demised parking'???? Makes it sound like the driveway has fallen down a crater.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    What on Earth is 'demised parking'???? Makes it sound like the driveway has fallen down a crater.

Funeral parlour next door?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    What on Earth is 'demised parking'????

A parking space transferred by lease
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure