Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2½

Options

Comments

• Savvybuyer
    Savvybuyer Posts: 22,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sally06 wrote: »
    Afternoon everyone :) The last time I posted on here was several years ago :eek: Lost my log in details. I noticed I had a PM to say I have been awarded a 10 year badge :T

Will check in more often :)

Seems you only have to register and then come back 10 years later:rotfl:.

Doesn't time fly?:o I was thinking earlier about something that had happened to me and what year it was - and then I realised and thought "it's now over 20 years ago:eek:!"
  • Wheres_My_Cashback
    Options
    Savvybuyer wrote: »
    Seems you only have to register and then come back 10 years later:rotfl:.

Shame more don't ;):D

Present company excepted.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    6 (potentially 8) months XBox Live Gold for £12.49. Go through Q M1crosoft site for potentially £4 back.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox-live-6-month-gold-membership-digital-code-1249-xbox-extra-month-if-you-activate-renewal-also-potential-4-quidco-2877177

Switch off auto renew before you apply the Gold as it may offer you an extra month for switching it on - added 2 for me :). Potentially save more by buying the discounted giftcard from CDKeys and ApplePay.

HTH

Anon
  • TrulyMadly
    TrulyMadly Posts: 39,754 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    cjj wrote: »
    Sorry for the lack of thanks but I do appreciate all your kind words.

All went well at the Docs, and I think I've adopted the attitude of don't give a **** at work.

I swapped desks, literally in 3 mins flat pulling the required cables out as I went. And I also took the Birthday card back in to work to advise the pair they had not signed it. Yes it's made things worse, but am I to blame, no xx

Oh my goodness....looks like you’ve found your teeth:T:T:T

I dread to think what you might do tomorrow cjj:rotfl:

Good on you.......maybe it’s made things worse only short term.......you might have given them all food for thought:T:T
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
  • curl_girl
    curl_girl Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    shirley999 wrote: »
    Daylight robbery, no notice whatsoever so we couldn't exchange at the higher rate before they devalued them. Shame on Tesco.

Agree.
    Just catching up with my emails on lappy.
    Shocking that no notice was given!
    I had been intending to redeem mine this weekend. :mad:

Evening peeps.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
  • TrulyMadly
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    tweets....are you affected by the Carillion collapse?
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
  • cjj_2
    cjj_2 Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Savvybuyer wrote: »
    Ooh, I've been waiting for this one - I was thinking just over 24 hours ago about this and the next time someone did it to ask.

Please can you clarify exactly and precisely what you mean:o:o:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:. (No need to respond.)

I was reading about people misunderstanding things and about avoiding misunderstanding as I can remember lots of occasions of myself misunderstanding what others have been saying in the past. The guidance on avoiding misunderstanding tells me to seek clarification if someone is unclear over what they mean, to ensure that I haven't misunderstood, and of course I've taken the guidance literally. There we go - I'm now asking as told to do, following the inflexible rule that I have been given:rotfl::rotfl:. And of course completely oblivious to any embarrassment it might cause:o:o. Apparently the way to avoid misunderstanding is to "Communicate clearly and completely":rotfl::rotfl:.

Of course I have an idea what you meant. Several ideas instead of just the original one:rotfl:, whatever that one was. I will not be told which word that set of asterisks was as, whatever it means, the forum would not allow it. So, lacking knowledge of what you actually meant, I must therefore draw my own conclusions based on the incomplete information that I have. There seem to me to be two main possibilities and, as is always the case, I've decided the most severe of the two is the one meant:rotfl:. If you meant the "less severe" word (although words less severe to some people may be more severe to others but there is also general acceptance), then the four asterisks have made it worse by leaving me thinking, as a misunderstanding which is of potential to cause offence but hasn't done so (but only because even the "more severe" word would not have offended me), that you mean the more severe word when you don't. Indeed, it's made it worse anyway as I have envisaged both possible words and brought them to mind (as is probably happening to everyone else now they read me and my post:rotfl:) instead of merely the original one that might have provoked a shock reaction in some other person if actually posted (and therefore presumably for that basis not allowed as well as being generally considered to be inappropriate for this site). If you meant the "more severe" of the two words - actually there is a third possibility now brought to my mind but I hardly think you meant that - and it could now go on and on with wondering and pondering over the detail of which word you meant, for minutes, hours and days, stuck on a circular trap of never being able to settle the matter by never knowing completely and conclusively which one you meant:rotfl: - the "severe" word that is everyday and completely non-severe these days to me has come to mind, but additional "lesser" words have also come to mind that a full communication would have avoided.

You've made the thing worse:rotfl::rotfl:. And I still don't know which word you meant! I can get caught in tangles of going through different individual words, one after another, wondering and wondering which word it is, never able to resolve the matter and actually getting upset (so offence actually then caused) - the four complete asterisks version is therefore the worst of the lot:rotfl:. However, an initial letter and asterisks just comes right across the original word nowadays so that doesn't resolve the matter and can sometimes be offensive to some people (which was supposed to have been a polite way of writing in the past but whether it always achieves politeness or not I am nowadays not sure - if it bothers someone and causes offence, then it may be intended to be polite but fail to achieve actually being so even if there was no intention not to be). I know you are being polite, or trying to be - I don't know whether or not that was achieved nowadays - but I still don't know what you mean:rotfl:. I've concluded you really do mean the "most severe" word that could fit into the phrase in the context. (Indeed, the guidance about misunderstandings refers to the risk of being misunderstood and people always take the most negative meaning they can think of and produce an unexpected response to the person that caused the misunderstanding for them. So, it is important to use clear and effective communication, which I take literally and I now understand that, clearly, yet again with this society, that has its limits and isn't supposed to be taken literally as people generally never say exactly what they mean - both the OP and the guidance to seek clarification being two separate examples - as there is always something unstated in the rule about the limitation of this - the rule itself, to seek clarification if something is unclear, therefore being inaccurate:p and untruthful:rotfl:. They are inaccurate:p:p - the main and fundamental concern of myself having an autism spectrum condition - they inaccurately say "seek clarification if something is unclear" when the accurate rule is "seek clarification if something is unclear unless it is in relation to something deemed to be offensive". That implication, because it was not expressed, therefore make the explicitly expressed part of the rule an incomplete picture and misleading to the person who assumes that everything means what it says, takes it literally and does not see the social background or context.

I've therefore been misled so often in the past by things, such as my schoolteachers telling me never to tell a lie, when that itself was a lie as they failed to mention that so-called white lies were socially required, even if uncomfortable to myself ever to tell even those as "lies" so I just say nothing at all as I can't bring myself to say anything untrue and then end up upsetting someone by them thinking I am ignoring them:rotfl:. Sorry, I cannot think of a tactful way of putting things as I do not know how to do so or the right words to use in that context, so it's either you or me that will end up upset and it's not going to be me (by telling a technically untrue white lie):rotfl:.

Love you Savvy :rotfl:
    Rhymes with a bird that swims on a pond. TM knows all about birds :) xx
    Cherish those you have in your life because you never know when they won't be there anymore.

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up & never give up.
  • cjj_2
    Options
    TrulyMadly wrote: »
    Oh my goodness....looks like you’ve found your teeth:T:T:T

I dread to think what you might do tomorrow cjj:rotfl:

Good on you.......maybe it’s made things worse only short term.......you might have given them all food for thought:T:T

Haha one said to me as I was walking off to my new desk in front of the team leader all nicey nice "well it's been nice knowing you" :rotfl:
    Team leader had a telling off recently for his team being !!!!!ty and he was the worst offender so now he cannot allow anything. Bet he didn't like my direct attitude today but I'm done being nice to people who treat me badly xx
    Cherish those you have in your life because you never know when they won't be there anymore.

• TrulyMadly
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    cjj wrote: »
    Haha one said to me as I was walking off to my new desk in front of the team leader all nicey nice "well it's been nice knowing you" :rotfl:
    Team leader had a telling off recently for his team being !!!!!ty and he was the worst offender so now he cannot allow anything. Bet he didn't like my direct attitude today but I'm done being nice to people who treat me badly xx

Well said:T:T

You’ve got me shaking in my boots now:rotfl::rotfl:

:p
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
  • cjj_2
    Options
    TrulyMadly wrote: »
    Well said:T:T

You’ve got me shaking in my boots now:rotfl::rotfl:

:p

Hehe. I confided in my Doctor when I went about my physical symptoms this morning. I told her of the upset it was causing me as she was one of the doctors who saw me through my darkest days. She offered me a sick note but no way are they driving me out of a job I love doing. Plus it keeps my mind busy which is key for me xx

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure