HSBCs £200 switch incentive ending this month?!

Options

Comments

• TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Was rejected this time last year. Unsure whether earnings related as they didn't ask for proof of income although I had declared my income when re-mortgaging with them 12 months earlier. The application was made after a string of other current account applications so maybe credit checking had an impact. Have never had another application rejected and they did offer their standard account.

Will apply again at some point although my take-home pay (if they request proof) is £1739 p/m.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    TheShape wrote: »
    Was rejected this time last year. Unsure whether earnings related as they didn't ask for proof of income although I had declared my income when re-mortgaging with them 12 months earlier. The application was made after a string of other current account applications so maybe credit checking had an impact. Have never had another application rejected and they did offer their standard account.

Will apply again at some point although my take-home pay (if they request proof) is £1739 p/m.

Like you, I was rejected a few years ago. I applied again a few weeks ago and was successful this time after changing my income details.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    Options
    I too was rejected last year. During my recent meeting in branch I was asked to prove my salary and it was only because they could access my First Direct account in the branch that I got through that stage. Despite this I was only offered a lower level of account which baffled the member of staff as I easily pass the required pay in.

In the good old days she would have been able to override the computer but instead she had to email India to get them to look at it.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Ballard wrote: »
    I too was rejected last year. During my recent meeting in branch I was asked to prove my salary and it was only because they could access my First Direct account in the branch that I got through that stage. Despite this I was only offered a lower level of account which baffled the member of staff as I easily pass the required pay in.

In the good old days she would have been able to override the computer but instead she had to email India to get them to look at it.

So the computer said no then;) !
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I don't think there are many decisions made in India, it's all back office and processing, maybe it was waht she thought to say when on the spot with you.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Interesting that there's been a few rejected by HSBC.

Amongst family & friends i'm an oddball with the banks as in i've been with many. Amongst people here i guess i'm not unusual at all (as far as that goes at least). I've been with Nationwide, First Direct, TSB, Lloyds, Barclays, Yorkshire so on & so forth & with one or two i'd never heard of before either just because they were offering incentives at the time.

HSBC is the only one i've ever been rejected for ... at a time when i easily met their criteria. In fact i'd been rejected twice & the person dealing with me this week was able to see my applications and had to merge the profiles to avoid problems.

Most applications i do online but i have done some in branch or over the phone. HSBC is by far & away the most detailed application i've ever had to do. About 2 hours in the bank in total.

That equates to £100 per hour. Well actually i was able to answer questions for my wife in the first meeting which cut the 2nd meeting when my wife could be available to being only an hour totalling 3 hours for the application. £66.66 per hour isn't bad. Certainly more than what i get paid.

People i work with scoff at me doing these kinds of things. I'm like ... we get paid £8.00 per hour to be here at work & that's something we all accept. I just got paid £66.66 per hour for something that wasn't even hard work. Just sitting there answering questions. What were you doing in that time? Stuffing your face while watching the TV probably. I can do that once i've finished my application. :)
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    Options
    People i work with scoff at me doing these kinds of things. I'm like ... we get paid £8.00 per hour to be here at work & that's something we all accept. I just got paid £66.66 per hour for something that wasn't even hard work. Just sitting there answering questions. What were you doing in that time? Stuffing your face while watching the TV probably. I can do that once i've finished my application. :)

That's the way that I look at it. Donkey's years ago I had a credit card with a chequebook for which there was no fee. Once a month I wrote myself a cheque and deposited it in my bank account. It took me 10-12 minutes in total and gave me something like £7-8 interest a month. To me (and the majority of posters on here) that's just easy money so why not but people at work couldn't understand why I bothered.

I will be slightly peeved if my HSBC application ultimately isn't successful but there are worse things in life than wasting a couple of hours in a bank. They've every right to decline me but the reward makes the possibility of wasting that time acceptable.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting that there's been a few rejected by HSBC.

Amongst family & friends i'm an oddball with the banks as in i've been with many. Amongst people here i guess i'm not unusual at all (as far as that goes at least). I've been with Nationwide, First Direct, TSB, Lloyds, Barclays, Yorkshire so on & so forth & with one or two i'd never heard of before either just because they were offering incentives at the time.

HSBC is the only one i've ever been rejected for ... at a time when i easily met their criteria. In fact i'd been rejected twice & the person dealing with me this week was able to see my applications and had to merge the profiles to avoid problems.

Most applications i do online but i have done some in branch or over the phone. HSBC is by far & away the most detailed application i've ever had to do. About 2 hours in the bank in total.

That equates to £100 per hour. Well actually i was able to answer questions for my wife in the first meeting which cut the 2nd meeting when my wife could be available to being only an hour totalling 3 hours for the application. £66.66 per hour isn't bad. Certainly more than what i get paid.

Well, you're not odd amongst a group of strange people I suppose.

With respect to the advance account then they have been known to reject people on the basis of income or salary. You state £8 an hour which wouldn't give a take home of £1750 on normal hours so that could be a reason for issues in opening the advance account.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    but people at work couldn't understand why I bothered.
    Yeah i get that comment frequently. "Ah i can't be bothered with 'all that faff' for the sake of £5" or "it's only £10".

To which i say ... well give me £10 then. Since it's "only £10" and you're talking like it's nothing, you should have no issue in just giving me it, right?

Obviously they don't.
    bigadaj wrote: »
    With respect to the advance account then they have been known to reject people on the basis of income or salary. You state £8 an hour which wouldn't give a take home of £1750 on normal hours so that could be a reason for issues in opening the advance account.
    Granted i don't hit the £1750 myself, but due to the hours we have to do (regularly 60hrs per week) i do come close. We don't get time & a half but we do get time and some sort of fraction.

But when you factor in my wife's wage we are easily above the minimum requirement every single month.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Post read as though the account would have been joint, so maybe they'd have 'qualified' with two incomes?

EDIT: I see they would have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport