Where to save for children’s uni fees

Options
124»

Comments

• louloubelle79
    Options
    Bumped this post as trying to find best option to pay into for my children’s Uni fees. Children age 7 and 9. I have a Santander mini account for them both; Santander JISA and Vanguard S&S JISA. When the mini account reaches £2000 ( max for 3%) I transfer this into their JISA. I have been doing this past year; is this the best thing to do?.

Have set up ISA with Vanguard in my name to now add to so I have control of the money once they reach 18 also.

Any advice offered?
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,630 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My DD is too close to uni now for S&S but I did put the child benefit in a S&S ISA (in my name) for a number of years - until I wanted to use the ISA allowance for myself. Then Halifax cash JISA was offering 6% so the bulk of the money went there - sadly it is down to 3% these days but still not bad. She will get control of it at 18.
    DD has a Santander mini 123 at 3% which gives access to a 5% regular saver for £200 pcm. It is her bank account and pocket money goes in here by SO.
    Unbeknown to her she also has a Halifax RS at 4.5% on £100 pcm (last year of this as she is 16 now) and a Nationwide FlexOne RS at 3.5% on £100 pcm (can keep going to 23). Quite a lot of the money being cycled through the RS will go to her at 17 for driving lessons/car insurance. Her grandparents gave her £1000 at birth for that purpose and it will be worth around £2250 by then.
    I also put £100 in an Orbis JISA to get the £100 bonus - just a bit of fun.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure