How does this CPU compare to modern ones?

in Techie Stuff
9 replies 869 views
Hi,

My main desktop computer has this CPU and wonder power wise how does it compare to modern AMD cpu's, Would modern ones have twice the power or more? Seems to run fine on computer though.

3.00 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 945
512 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• edited 31 October 2017 at 11:14AM
    joeblagsjoeblags Forumite
    169 Posts
    edited 31 October 2017 at 11:14AM
    a modern intel cpu would have a lot more than twice the power.... up until now amd have been crap for ages. unless you need the power though you wouldn't notice. best thing for any system is an ssd drive this will make it feel fast
  • kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Forumite
    This holds info on many processors including that one

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

It doesn't look to be too bad in fact with a passmark of 3686 which exceeds a lot of i3s
  • Thanks for replies.

yep I have an SSD which sure makes a difference, if I didn't I would probably just give up on this computer as it would take so long to boot, even with little startup programs.
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    Unless you're doing gaming, video encoding or 3D CAD type stuff you are very unlikely to get any benefit from a faster CPU. CPUs became fast enough for normal run of the mill stuff around a decade ago and it was the HDD that was the bottleneck, something addressed by fitting a SSD as you have done.

HDDs really are the problem with older machines. I recently upgraded my "documents" HDD I've had for donkeys years to a 3TB one. The old 320GB one managed a whopping 75mb/s. The new 3TB one manages 210mb/s with similar increases over the old one in random writes and reads too.
  • On the subject of cheaper SSD a few years ago it was forecast by now that that SSD's would be so cheap that they would virtually replace all HDD in new computers.
    Unfortunately that hasn't happened. Just wondering why and if it will any time soon?
  • jshm2jshm2 Forumite
    346 Posts
    It's around half as powerful as the A8 7600k and twice as power hungry. Also the Phenon does not have an integrated GPU and half as much onboard cache.

Regarding SSD's They will not totally replace HDD's just as tablets have not replaced laptops. SSD's are great for certain functions and builds but cannot match HDD's in all respects. i.e you cannot get a 6TB SSD nor fully RAID SSD's etc etc.
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    jshm2 wrote: »
    i.e you cannot get a 6TB SSD nor fully RAID SSD's etc etc.

Obviously not ;-)

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/08/seagate-unveils-60tb-ssd-the-worlds-largest-hard-drive/

I mean you can, but they are not cheap. But getting there. Saying that traditional drive will never die out is stupid, it's like saying full height HD's will never die out (you see any 3 inch high drives these days?). Or 5 1/4 drives will never die out (You see any anymore?).

In the near future they will become neice products.

I admit one of the main point's against SSD is data recovery. yes they are less liekly to die but when they do they are harder to recover. But they will eventually get to a point where they are cheap enough you can have a backup too.
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    32.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I went from an AMD 5200 2.7ghz to a R1700 and in everyday tasks there is no difference at all.

But when doing 3D stuff there is a massive difference.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    On the subject of cheaper SSD a few years ago it was forecast by now that that SSD's would be so cheap that they would virtually replace all HDD in new computers.
    Unfortunately that hasn't happened. Just wondering why and if it will any time soon?

It has happened in the upper end of the market. Unfortunately at the bottom end of the market they have to use big numbers to sell what is a crap machine so a "ONE TERABYTE HARD DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" looks a lot better than saying 128GB SSD and people buying from Argos tend not to know the difference. Large capacity mechanical hard drives and RAM are cheaper than decent CPUs and screens so that is why you'll find the budget end come with gobs of RAM and large drives but in use are absolutely asthmatic.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals