Forum Home» Mortgage-Free Wannabe

The Edcawber Principle - Page 196

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The Edcawber Principle

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
2.1K replies 237.2K views

Replies

• edinburgheredinburgher Forumite
    12K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did all the housework yesterday. Cleaned aquarium, washing machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer and took out the recycling and bins.  Worryingly it no longer seems possible to turn off the filter change light on our expensive tumble dryer (£500 in 2015). It's one of those heatpump ones and we rather stupidly didn't realise that you needed to clean the heat exchanger once a month. I think it was 6 months before we did, cackhandedly and dented several of the fins :s I think it will need to be serviced, but assuming replacement heat exchanger and a qualified engineer, we'll likely be talking £££ (if it can be done). It will wait until early 2021.
    Lovely trip to the cinema with DD today, a vaguely funereal feel as they have to shut down again tomorrow. I bought expensive cinema snacks (must be the 4th time in two months despite 25 years of avoiding them, feel terrible for the folk losing hours and jobs). For their part I got given a double portion of nachos and a free fruit juice for DD :) Lovely friendly people, it's all so surreal.
    Finances getting finagled today, slightly worried as we're at -£800 or something for the month. We are still to get CB and two wages during November (so only negative until then), but our "age of money" on YNAB is crap (sitting at around 10-15 days most of the time).
    Was talking to a sibling yesterday who is in England and is now facing furlough after desperately scrambling to find sufficient work over the last few months as they were recruited into the teeth of the pandemic. I feel awful for them - they're confident, driven and really good at their work and they took a risk for a better opportunity when they moved jobs. I feel very insulated sitting at home with my reliable local government job and trying not to dish out platitudes :'(
    Made my monthly donation to the Trussell Trust today, has rapidly quadrupled (from a low base) as the situation out there gets grimmer and grimmer. Not looking for a pat on the back for that, just suggesting those of us who are luckily relatively unscathed by the virus in our daily lives think about those who are less fortunate? Not feeling particularly cheeful today, think I'll watch the (older) Gavin and Stacey Christmas special to cheer myself up.
    Take care everybody.

12K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finances updated after all the direct debits went out and I have to say I find myself confused AF :o
    We received CB today, but despite that the gap in our budget seems to have got worse. We now appear to have -£925.50 and I'm scunnered. A quick check of the last fortnight seems to show that all major expenditures have been captured. Maybe just a ridiculously spendy October that our finances couldn't bear? We did spend c. £500 on DIY, £300 on DD and £500 on groceries. YNAB can be a handy tool, but I'm not convinced that it's an intuitive way to budget.
    Trimming money off of budget lines on a daily basis, but feels like picking up pennies from the path of a steamroller. Thank goodness my full increment will show up in my next wage. We have both done the WFH tax reclaim thing, not much more to do at this point.
    12K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Suffolk_lass - well done on paying off the mortgage - I'm only sorry it was at the expense of poor DH! ;)
    I have been feeling gloomy today (day 2 of calorie counting and cold weather)? Cheered myself up by listening to H3eart Christmas, a temporary radio station that blasts out all the cheesy Christmas songs I won't hear in the shops this year. I'm limiting myself to one day a week until Christmas so that I don't overdo it...
    Budget trimmed, -£892.21 and counting.
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are not permitted to have Christmas songs, films, lights, decorations or any form of celebration until it is Christmas here. It dates back to our original idea (probably mine - very foolish!) to surprise DS by decorating on Christmas Eve. I think the was 2 or 3 at the time. We amended this to the weekend before Christmas (after getting really snippy with each other at around 3.30am over fairies) but it has stayed there ever since. Such is life in Suffolk tower (well chimney really)

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £7,085.43/£5k 141.7%
    Save £12k in 2021 - #26 aiming for £7,500
    OS Grocery Challenge 2021 target £0/£3k 0% annual (£500 contingency)
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
    12K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gosh! @Suffolk_lass I don't think I could take the discipline at yours :D
    I haven't listened to any more Christmas choons, but Classic FM do try and spring the odd one on me and I'm not responsible for that.
    This week dragged quite a lot, although I've stuck to calorie counting and long walks (up to 16,500 already today) and trying to remain cheerful. I'm having a nice little lazy afternoon at the moment, the only real housework I've done was cleaning the aquarium. Mrs E and DD out at the park with rellies.
    Budget continues to look grim and it has nothing to do with buying tickets for the Lions game at Murrayfield next June, oh no... ;) I have cashed in £405 of PB to help balance the books.
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    74.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Got to have something to look forward to 😀🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 1 month to go ****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    12K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    beanielou said:
    Got to have something to look forward to 😀🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I agree Beanie - worst case scenario and I've got £250 of enforced savings. Saw no live rugby this year, I've missed it :'(

• Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a bit of controversy around that match I understand. It is the same day as the English Premiership final and the suggestion is that none of the Premiership clubs are releasing players so potential for no England players. I imagine it will be a useful insight ahead of the South Africa tour 

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £7,085.43/£5k 141.7%
    Save £12k in 2021 - #26 aiming for £7,500
    OS Grocery Challenge 2021 target £0/£3k 0% annual (£500 contingency)
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
    12K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just lost a post.
    Budgets trimmed, I am in a bad mood because DD and I had our walk ruined by the !!!!!! cat following us around the neighbourhood and getting stuck in gardens :#