Forum Home» Mortgage-Free Wannabe

The Edcawber Principle - Page 149

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The Edcawber Principle

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
1.9K replies 223.5K views

Replies

• Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I weighed myself this morning and have let a few pounds creep back on. Nightmare. So that is it. I am going back to my strict eating until hols - mine is based on the 8-week Low Blood-sugar Diet that Dr Michael Mosley's book follows - recommended for diabetics (I am not diabetic but the sugar makes my joints creaky (literally audibly) and stiff so it suits me). The big things are bread, potatoes and sugar at the moment. Oh, and alcohol :o:o

I am going to try and be accountable on my diary as I know I have naughty stuff in the house. I bet mine is slower than yours!

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £5,010.84/£5k 100.22% after September
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £2,230.32/£3k 74.34% so far at end of Sep
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 - exceeded our £15,000 target and paid the whole thing off
    MFIT T5 No 2 all gone after Q7
    My Debt Free Diary was Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgheredinburgher Forumite
    11.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bread, potatoes and alcohol - mmmmmh :)

I had a major wobble this afternoon, felt sick as a dog and miserable. I have 'treated' myself with a chocolate flavoured protein shake (I know, I know) :rotfl: Tomorrow I am going to allow myself two protein shake snacks to mix it up a bit - only 220 extra calories for both and 2.4g of carbs. I think my body can hack low carbs, it's more the miniature intermittent fasting that it hates. Until now, I've been going 15 hours between dinner and breakfast, I'm going to try and break that after 12 hours with one of the protein shakes to tide me over until 11:00 'lunch'.

I'd rather compromise a little than quit after less than a week :)
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The big thing about the diet for me is cutting out anything sweet beyond fruit. So only fruit that grows in the UK and no sugar substitutes.

Out of interest, are you having the protein shakes because you are craving chocolate, or because you already have them in? - whenever I have seen you post about what you cook it seems already to be high in protein. I go for nuts and cheese as my snacks, and a mini-bar of dark high cocoa solids chocolate if I am craving it - actually after one school trip DH accompanied to France or Belgium, he brought back some 100% Lindt stuff - very hard to eat (I persevered :o) but generally 85% or more if it is a big bar, or I just eat all of it :o:o

Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 - exceeded our £15,000 target and paid the whole thing off
    11.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do like my protein :D

I don't get cravings for sweet things, just salty and fatty things :eek:

Protein shakes were added in because I already have a giant sack of the powder and something a little sweet is the perfect foil to tedious meals of meat and eggs. Today has felt a lot more tolerable, amazing the difference that 115 calories of something that tastes *different* can make :)
  • Sa1sysooSa1sysoo Forumite
    291 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Long time lurker here - re the weight loss, have you looked into James Smith Academy? It ma be worth getting his free emails, look at his videos on Instagram, or try his free trial.
    He's very no nonsense (a bit sweary), but he gives pretty good advice and I've found his website to be invaluable.

May be worth a look.
    o:)Declutter 2020 in 2020 - 439/2020
    OH OD - £100.00/£100.00 Joint OD - £100.00/£100.00
    Barclaycard CC 0% - £4,751.03/£4,751.03 MBNA CC 0% - £8,270.48/£8,528.56
    Nationwide CC - £0/£519.81
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are quiet edinburgher, I hope all is well with you and the family

• beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    73.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Was just thinking of you the other day.
    Hope all is ok with you & yours :)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    11.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All is well - I have just been very busy at work (and in real life)!

As expected, we have been a bit too spendthrift over the last couple of months and it caught up with me in flamboyant style after I managed to go into an (unplanned) overdraft of about £150 :o It was only overnight (paid the next day), but it was a rude awakening :eek:

Part of the problem was the fact that we're trying to behave ourselves a bit better and are now doing calendar month budgeting (as opposed to "whenever I get paid" budgeting). Being paid 4 weekly is a royal pain in the posterior and I got to "spend" none of my "13th wage" (largely because I'd already !!!!ed the money away elsewhere). Making overly large credit card repayments has also bit me in the bottom - remember marathon not a sprint and all that...

Am currently doing my best to right the ship (and enjoying a rare night where Mrs E has gone out with the girls leaving me to treat myself to a Chinese with some of my pocket money and some QT playing (free) computer games).

I'll try to get back into updating habits :)
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    73.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you :wave:
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, good to get an update from you. It's very easy to stop posting at this time of year. I try to keep doing my budgets even when I'm not posting as that is where my little Tilly Tidies reveal themselves