Getting IVA on track or getting rid...

I am asking for advice for my now partner. My questions are around what his next steps should be.

History:

He has an IVA started in Dec 2012 and to which he has been paying £1 each month since August 2014. The IVA was originally with ClearDebt (now Accenture) and the low payment started because he was made redundant. The original debt was around £15k (he thinks) and the agreement was £130 a month. From August 2014 to July 2016 he was self employed with an unpredictable income (roughly living wage). Since then he has been employed on a temporary basis with his contract being renewed every 3 months. He has an old car and no assets. He is 63 soon, so he has 2-3 years before retirement.

He has submitted IE forms when requested and is currently in discussion with Accenture. The telephone interviews so far seem to be ‘how much can you pay’, ‘can anyone lend you money’. The second interview concluded when it became apparent that the advisor was looking at another persons IE sheets!!!

1. He has asked but not received a statement of what his debts and management charges are. Are the company obliged to provide this information or can they choose not to?
2, He expected the company would ‘fail the IVA’, but they have not suggested this. Any thoughts on why they haven't (e.g. Is he continuing to accrue management fees)?
3. One option is that he pays what he can (about £70 a month), but so far the advisor seems to be working through things asking him where he can save to add to the payment and extending the IVA. How long can the term be extended?
4. There is the option of ‘borrowing’... is this, guess how much they might accept? Or will the debt have been sold on so any offer should be less?
5. If the IVA fails would the IP petition for bankruptcy?

Thanks in advance

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family