Savings accounts accepting DD's

Options

Comments

• Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If Tesco etc. didn't want to engage with multiple low amount DD users then they should have restricted such deposits to accounts by Standing Order only.
    Which they have just done.
    they probably didn't do that originally because they do want to engage with savers saving quite low monthly amounts, and didn't expect the quite anomalous behaviour of the multi-current account brigade found on this forum.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    they probably didn't do that originally because they do want to engage with savers saving quite low monthly amounts, and didn't expect the quite anomalous behaviour of the multi-current account brigade found on this forum.

Which Tesco are just as guilty themselves of by having higher interest current accounts with direct debit conditions attached.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 October 2017 at 9:43PM
    Options
    Which Tesco are just as guilty themselves of by having higher interest current accounts with direct debit conditions attached.
    No, Tesco don't open current accounts with multiple other banks, then meet the conditions for high interest, or bonus or waived fees by making small DDs to a savings account in their own name.

All the bank accounts requiring DDs, including Tesco's are intended to attract customers who will use the account as a normal current account, and can be cross-sold or up-sold products that will make the bank money.

Yes they are aware that a few will use them as savings accounts, but then the accounts get a mention on MSE, and it's no longer just a few people who can spot a bargain for themselves, it's a mass of people who only need to follow written instructions.

The DD requirements were introduced to reduce the number merely using the accounts as savings accounts, but once again, written instructions for a workaround were provided.
    Many savings accounts that could be funded by direct debit were pulled, whether because of a high number of low value DDs, or because of changes in the banking regulations, I don't know. As each went, the pressure on those remaining grew, and next January probably the last will go.

Soon only legitimate DDs (council tax, TV licence, utilities, subscriptions,credit cards, etc) will remain.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    they probably didn't do that originally because they do want to engage with savers saving quite low monthly amounts, and didn't expect the quite anomalous behaviour of the multi-current account brigade found on this forum

Which can just as easily be achieved by Standing Orders, so no drama.
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    Chrisv wrote: »

Brilliant.

May I suggest people who think there isn't an MSE impact are living in Cloud DD land!
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brilliant.

May I suggest people who think there isn't an MSE impact are living in Cloud DD land!

Well it's not definitive.

Post office financial product has issues, hold the front page I woudn t have thought.
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Well it's not definitive.

Post office financial product has issues, hold the front page I woudn t have thought.

Aye you're probably right.

Product that's been available for years (over multiple issues) now not available days after the Tescos DD shoutathon.

:rotfl:
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 November 2017 at 6:14AM
    Options
    Aye you're probably right.

Product that's been available for years (over multiple issues) now not available days after the Tescos DD shoutathon.

:rotfl:

Classic cognitive bias. Two distinct events happening in sequence doesn't indicate cause and effect even if you can build a narrative to support it.

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    darkidoe wrote: »
    Classic cognitive bias. Two distinct events happening in sequence doesn't indicate cause and effect even if you can build a narrative to support it.

Classic head in sand effect!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure