Thomas Cook Arilines - Reselling flights

Options
looks like we won't be able to travel on a trip we have booked flight only with Thomas Cook - its 100% cancellation and we don't have a claimable reason.

We've seen you can name change for a fee - is there anywhere where we can resell these to get a least some of our money back - flights MAN-BGI in January
The futures bright the future is Ginger

Comments

• antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How much were the flights and how much to change names?
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1600 approx for 4 and cost around 400 to change
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BGI? Anyway, you could list them on Ebay and include your contact details: Ebay would not allow such a sale but you might find someone before Ebay pulled your listing.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    how much are the tickets now to purchase? - you need to add the difference in fare to the £50 each sector admin fee.
    I would expect you would need to make the price lower than someone would be charged booking direct with TC.
    If the tickets are now £600 each and you manage to sell them for £450 each then you would be paying out £100 admin fee + £200 fare difference leaving a return of £150 per ticket.
    If the fees to change are £400 then assuming the flight price is unchanged from when you booked. What would you hope to get for them? £250? pay the £100 and get £150 back.
    You can't advertise them on eBay but I have seen gumtree ads but not sure how successful they are, or maybe post on social media so it goes to friends or friends of friends. I am not sure I would buy flights off a stranger with no protection.
    Worst case if you cannot sell, do not cancel the ticket (nothing to be gained if cancel now or day of flight) by hanging onto the booking there is a tiny chance that there may be a schedule change that could enable you to cancel for full refund
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    £400 admin fees plus difference in fare cost. The fare cost though is a variable, and the prices fluctuate all the time, sometimes by a little, sometimes a lot which makes finding a price that is attractive enough for someone to want to risk buying tickets off a stranger difficult. I'm not sure how many people would these days. I know I wouldn't.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I'm with the last 2 posters.

No way would I buy flights or a holiday from a total stranger - regardless of how much a bargain it seemed.
  • gingerdad
    Options
    BGI- Barbados

Prices have gone up - understand the not buying was wondering if there was a platform like there is for reselling tickets that plenty of people seem to be happy that they can buy/sell from people they don't know.

it may be that we still go - just looking at options - our accommodation is fully refundable up to 24 hours before travel.

good point about changes still a few months out so might be lucky - have had that in the past but the flights suited better in the end.

it'll be a wait and see game - worst case we loose the money - maybe able to claim some of the taxes/fees back subject to their admin
  • gingerdad
    Options
    seen we can also pay and delay for upto 3 months so that may be an option as well
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    gingerdad wrote: »
    BGI- Barbados

Prices have gone up - understand the not buying was wondering if there was a platform like there is for reselling tickets that plenty of people seem to be happy that they can buy/sell from people they don't know.

it may be that we still go - just looking at options - our accommodation is fully refundable up to 24 hours before travel.

good point about changes still a few months out so might be lucky - have had that in the past but the flights suited better in the end.

it'll be a wait and see game - worst case we loose the money - maybe able to claim some of the taxes/fees back subject to their admin

You will be able to claim the APD back. It's £75 per person. Admin fee is £25 per booking (from memory). You can amend by upto 3 months after original departure date by paying the admin fees and any difference in fare cost. The only way a schedule change would entitle you to cancel with a refund would be if it was over 12 hours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure