🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

change of address, will it move me to universal credit?

Options
Hi all, getting really worried about Universal Credit at the moment, as I'm sure a lot are.

I'm hoping to move house next month and on November 22nd my area goes into full service.

I am wondering, will a change of address trigger a change in claim to move me to UC?

UC is pants, for my situation, it's showing a drop of £400 a month. Going to be incredibly hard times, going to have to give up a lot to get by, so worried.
Appreciate everyone’s advice here, keep up the great work!

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A change of address will not trigger a move to UC unless you move to a new area where you need to make a new claim for HB.

A change of address with the same local authority will be a change of circumstances and you will need to inform the LA about it (usually a form on your LA's website.)
  • eld
    eld Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm moving in the same city, only a few miles away, so it's the same local council.

So I won't be moved to UC?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    No, not if it's the same council.
  • eld
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    Ah hah, i've been looking for such a doc for ages.

Seems I have the choice since it's the same local authority, well, sticking with Tax Credits obviously.

Appreciate the link, thanks a lot!
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 October 2017 at 10:54AM
    Options
    Surely it's the Job Centre area?
    https://universalcreditinfo.net/
  • eld
    Options
    Well according to the linked doc, it's local authority, which is the council not the job centre.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    https://universalcreditinfo.net/

It's kind of both - but they are relevant for different reasons.

Firstly, UC roll-out is by postcode not Jobcentre area (despite what GOV.UK says). Some Jobcentre offices cover postcodes that might fall into full service roll-out and some that might be in live service or change at a different date.

Secondly, the reason that the LA area is relevant is because if you move within a local authority area it doesn't trigger a new claim for housing benefit - it is treated as a change of circumstances. Whereas if you move to a new LA you need to make a new claim for housing benefit which, in full service areas, is no longer possible so that would mean you need to claim UC. If you are in the same area, you are still treated as an existing HB claimant in effect.

IQ
  • eld
    Options
    I should note I'm not getting Housing Benefit, I'm simply changing address for Tax Credits/Child Benefit/Council Tax. Going by that document, under the Tax Credit heading:
    On TC and change does not lead to a claim for a new ‘legacy benefit’ e.g. less income
    It says under the full service heading, that the choice to move to UC is yours.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    eld wrote: »
    I should note I'm not getting Housing Benefit, I'm simply changing address for Tax Credits/Child Benefit/Council Tax. Going by that document, under the Tax Credit heading:
    It says under the full service heading, that the choice to move to UC is yours.

Sorry, i misread from the response and didn't spot it in your original

In that case, neither local authority nor jobcentre/postcode area matters to you.

The issue for you is simply that reporting a change of address doesn't change your tax credits claim and so won't trigger a need to claim UC>

IQ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family